(2) Discover.

Over the rock I jumped trying to land on the smooth surface near the river, warm sun beaming from above crystalizing the tiny sand and pebbles on the ground. From the horizon I peered drinking in the scenery of fresh blue water with assorted colors of flowers and roses, the aroma of earth and fresh soil on the ground, my childhood playground. I remember this place and everything I used to do here, even the friend, I made on that fateful day.

I sat on the beach reminiscing the old days of when I was flexible and adventurous, now I can't even stretch without thinking I'll break my back.

Serves me right for never hitting the gym once a month for 5 minutes. The crystals of the sand massage my toes while I dug them inside after removing my shoes, glancing around at every detail that has not changed, the river streams play a musical set while they trickle over the rock. Never would I ever thought that I'd be near water ever again after what happened and what I saw after that tragedy, I sigh. Planting my forehead to my knees.

Despite all that has happened, I still wondered where he is, how he is and what he is doing.

I - I miss him.

***

The sun was set at its highest that day, the whole town was glistening under the warm rays of the burning star. Grass green as rubies, like an aesthetic drawing of what a young child would draw on a piece of paper; thick white clouds painted on the clear blue sky with a horizon of pure green wheats on the ground, all radiating life under the sun. I close my eyes Inhaling the crisp wind of the cooling oxygen welcoming the serenity of peace.

"Goddamn it, is that shit?" My father swears angrily from the distance behind me.

I roll my eyes, "Swear Jar,"

"Sorry sweety," he looks down remorsefully before kissing my forehead when he closed the distance, "these shoes just cost me a fortune." His Italian loafers imported all the way from Venice, Italy. 

Only on gracious occasions would he dare free them from the closet, and this day was it, the day entrepreneurs would come from around the world to peek at my father's new invention. All his latest projects spark frenzies upon the media, but this in particular one was more secretive, top silence not even I was able to attend most of the meetings.

At the time I thought nothing of it, continuing on jumping pebbles while he retrieved phone calls.

"Stay close sweety" his gruff deep voice would echo through the horizon from time to time.

I stood right next to him, like I always do. 

Up the steps we walked to the beige and white home of my Nanny, by this point it felt as though I have spent more time with her than him since the beginning of his invention. So much so I could have made the journey on my own, times like these I wished my mother were still alive to be here with me.

We stood in front of the door, With all his focus on his phone. "What's taking so long for her to answer is she home?" He muttered under his breath annoyed.

"We never knocked."

"Oh, right" He clears his throat before knocking three times with the back of his knuckles. In the silence I await before muffled patters of feet are heard inside, out she came, the woman I could call grandma at this point, Matte brown shade of lip stick with black outline in her plump lips, skin a rich dark chocolate like that of a mocha Ghirardelli. Smooth regardless of her age.

She smiled genuinely Glancing at me and only me with those eyes, my favorite part of her; One blue and the other gray. "Now come give your nanny some Suga, you know we do that around here." Jolly Thick Southern accent before She giggled; ivory whites displayed with perfect set of teeth. Arms wrapped me tight around my shoulders letting me feel the love radiating off her vibe, we literally saw each other yesterday but it's as though I've had been gone for a millennium.