Chapter 39

Almost an hour later, they lay in bed together, totally spent after making love thrice, with Khushi wrapped in Arnav's arms as she was spooned against him, her back against his chest, his head laying on top of hers while his leg was also thrown over hers.

"This is home..." Khushi murmured comfortably, resting her hands on top of Arnav's. "Nothing beats being in your arms," she said to him.

"And nothing beats having you in my arms," he said. He meant it. He looked forward to holding her in his arms every night, whether that was to make love or to sleep, it didn't matter. What mattered was having her there with him. He had no idea how he was supposed to sleep for 2 whole weeks without her. It didn't matter that he would be seeing her in office – he needed her with him, always, and even one day without her was a pain – two whole weeks without her was going to be a nightmare. He had to find a way round it...

"We'll see each other in office tomorrow," she said in a consoling tone, although she wasn't sure if she was consoling herself or her husband.

"Hmmm," he responded.

"Maybe I can make an excuse of extra work and come in early," she said.

"Hmmm."

"I'll talk to Babuji, he'll eventually come round..."

"Hmmm."

"Arnav!" Khushi turned around in his arms, realising he wasn't even listening to her. "I only have a couple of minutes left with you and you're not even listening to me!" she complained.

"Shut up Khushi! Don't you dare say that again!" he yelled.

"What?" she was taken aback at being shouted at after a good couple of weeks. And wait... wasn't she supposed to be the angry one?

"We're going to see each other tomorrow anyways, why are you on about having only a few minutes left damn it?!" Arnav vented, making it sound like he wasn't bothered about not being with her for the rest of the day the way she was.

What he'd really meant to say was, 'It sucks as it is, don't say it aloud and rub it in!" but it came out all wrong.

He only realised how that had come out when he'd finished the sentence, but he realised his blunder a second too late, because by that time Khushi was out of his arms and started dressing up. "Right. We're going to see each other in office tomorrow anyways. Everything is fine. Let's get moving. As it is, it's getting to 5.30pm so we should hurry," she said, stoically.

"Khushi I didn't mean-," Arnav tried to rectify his mistake, but Khushi moved out of the room in search of the rest of her clothes as they hadn't been very patient when they'd come in.

"Sh*t," he muttered, realising he'd messed up. He really hadn't meant to shout at her, but he hated that they weren't going to share the same house for the next two weeks and he accidentally took out the frustration on the person who mattered most to him.

Their ride to the house where Khushi's parents were staying was silent, yet thick with tension. Well, Arnav did try to speak to Khushi a couple of times, but as he was met with pure ignorance, he eventually gave up trying, berating himself inside for being so impulsive and stupid. This was not how he was supposed to send her off.

When the car stopped in front of the house, Arnav came to her side as she stepped out.

As soon as he took out her luggage for her stay, she took it in her hands and said, "I'll take it in."

She looked up at him, "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow in office," she gave him a very formal hug. "Bye," was all she said to him before turning and walking to the entrance of the house.