Chapter 37

"Your engagement will happen this Sunday," Khushi's babuji announced when he came back from the sweet shop, pleasantly surprising the couple.

"I spoke to your Nani this morning babua. She checked with the pandit and said that this Sunday is a good day for the engagement," he said.

Arnav and Khushi looked at each other, surprised that her father had taken these steps so quickly, but they were silently pleased too.

Having spent the whole of yesterday with Arnav, Khushi's father was confident that this man loved his daughter. Not only had he seen the way the man dealt with his daughter's tantrums with love, but he'd also seen the way his daughter had been glowing this morning. He would be a fool not to know that the pair had spent a bit of the night together – how else would they both be so happy this morning, clearly having sorted out their issues? But what mattered most to him was that the man made his daughter happy and he was sure that he was the only one who could deal with their Sankadevi.

Arnav was perfect for his Khushi, and he saw no need to delay the inevitable. And so, as soon as he got to the sweet shop that morning, a bit earlier than usual, he called Arnav's Nani, asking for her opinion on getting the two engaged at the next available date. And the old woman had been absolutely delighted and had immediately said that she would check with their pandit that very day.

And by evening, Nani had called back saying that the upcoming Sunday was the next available date and Shashi had enthusiastically agreed on the date. There would be a lot of work to do, but nothing mattered more than his daughter's happiness.

"Are you happy bitiya?" Shashi asked his daughter, to make sure that this is what she wanted.

Khushi nodded happily, "Thank you babuji," she said, running into her father's arms and hugging him.

"At least now drop the act of being angry with the boy!" Buaji teased.

Khushi blushed at being caught and looked at Buaji sheepishly.

"Haan Khushi, you had no one fooled with your acting – the fact that you'd made up was written all over your faces," Payal also added to the teasing, pushing Khushi directly into Arnav's arms, who easily caught her in his arms.

With both of their sheepish yet happy looks, the house burst with cheers of happiness and was soon bustling with preparations for the engagement – they only had 3 days to prepare!

***

Given the very short time, Arnav arranged for helpers to assist both families with the engagement preparations from the next day.

That night, when Khushi entered her room she heard a rushed whisper, "Love you, bye!"

"Jiji?" Khushi called out surprisingly.

"Khushi," Payal looked couldn't look her little sister in the eye as she was caught red-handed.

Khushi quickly shut the room door behind her. "You're in love?!" Khushi asked, with a big, excited smile as she rushed towards her sister and engulfed her in a hug.

Payal smiled shyly and nodded ever so slightly.

"Oh, why didn't you tell me?! Who's the lucky man who's stolen my sister's heart?" Khushi asked teasingly.

Seeing her sister so happy for her, Payal finally opened up saying that she fell in love with a colleague at her workplace and the two had been seeing each other for almost a year now.

"Oh Jiji I'm so happy for you! Why don't you tell our family?"

"Akash was going to come and speak to Babuji this weekend, but with your engagement, I think we can push back to the following weekend," Payal said.