Chapter 73: SHUTDOWN SEQUENCE

Start from the beginning

Hajime: "Hey, just what do you mean by 'trap'? What is Junko's trap?"

Fuyuhiko: "I-It doesn't matter! We... we can finally end this, you know... if we get out of here... it'll all resolve itself peacefully. After all this, I can't let you get in the way!"

Makoto: "The fact that you guys are even thinking like that is Junko's trap!"

Fuyuhiko: "Huh?"

Makoto: "She's lying to you about your dead friends coming back to life!"

Junko (Cutesy): "Who? Little old me?"

Akane: "Who do we trust!?"

Makoto: "If you knew Junko's true goal, you'd know she's lying."

Kazuichi: "You know her goal?"

Makoto: "Yeah... Junko's goal is to convert the Hope Restoration Program... to the Despair Restoration Program."

Sonia: "The... Despair Restoration Program?"

Makoto: "As part of the Graduation Program, your avatar's memory and consciousness is uploaded into your real body... however, none of us expected that any of the avatars would get deleted. Junko has taken advantage of that opportunity. She intends to use her version of Alter Ego... the AI she stole my friend's skill to create... and upload herself into the bodies of everyone whose avatar was deleted!"

Hajime: "...What!?"

Kazuichi: "T-Then... everyone who died isn't gonna come back to life."

Akane: "They're gonna be taken over by Junko!?"

Fuyuhiko: "W-What the fuck?"

Makoto: "Like the real world, once an avatar is deleted from a virtual world, it can't be recovered. It's actually impossible to revive them..."

Junko: "That doesn't mean I was lying, you know? I just didn't make some things clear. And... even if they're overwritten by my Alter Ego, it doesn't mean they'll be a completely different person. The data of everyone who died is stored within me, so I'm sure I can convincingly act out their personalities."

Fuyuhiko: "D-Don't mess with me!"

Junko: "In fact, I have a lot of data on Fuyuhiko, so I know some things that'll make you happy... I could play a version of Peko that's more to your liking than she ever was!" If it were possible for people to have steam burst from their ears, like in cartoons, then that's what Fuyuhiko would be doing right now.

Fuyuhiko: "I said... DON'T FUCKING MESS WITH ME!!!"

Junko: "AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Operation: Junko-fy All Mankind begins here!"

Hajime: 'Junko-fy All Mankind?'

Junko: "After uploading my Alter Ego into everyone who died, I'm gonna take over the Future Foundation's headquarters. And then... eventually, there's gonna be a whole bunch of people like me all over the world! With this... my despair utopia, where you can despair as you please, Junkoland, will be complete! That's Operation: Junko-fy All Mankind in a nutshell! Aw yeah! Our dreams are expanding-anding-anding!"

Kazuichi: "T-That messed up plan... is your goal?"

Hajime: "Then... why didn't you just kill all of us? If you did, you could've taken over all of our bodies... wouldn't that have been more convenient for you?"

Junko: "Is that what you want me to do? Is it still too late to do that?"

Makoto: "No, there's a reason Junko couldn't do that. That's why she made you guys kill each other."