Chapter 65: BLIND FAITH

Final Class Trial (Part Four)

Chiaki: "..."

Fuyuhiko: "Just as I thought... it's impossible, isn't it?" He couldn't help but say that, the situation Nagito wanted to put everyone in was basically impossible to escape from. A mystery that nobody can solve, a problem without a solution.

Kazuichi: "A-Are you saying we j-just have to vote for someone!?"

Chiaki: "What Hajime said is... probably true. That's part of the reason why I thought it was a little strange. Did Nagito... really not care who the killer was?"

Hajime: 'Huh?'

Chiaki: "It's going to be fine, I'm pretty sure everything will work out in the end. After all, there's no way hope can lose. Absolute hope that can break through any despair can never lose in a place like this. And not only that, I believe in you all. I believe in the time we spent together. What I just said is what Nagito told us before we all went looking for the bombs. That feeling of belief is at the heart of his trick. He believed we'd notice the fire grenades... he believed we'd try to extinguish the flames... and he believed we'd fall for his trap. By believing in us, Nagito was able to put his life-threatening plan into effect."

Kazuichi: "W-What do you mean, 'believe'!?"

Fuyuhiko: "What's... wrong with that?"

Chiaki: "There's one more thing, remember? Something that Nagito believed in from the bottom of his heart. I want you to try and remember what that is." It didn't take long at all for Hajime to come up with the answer, it was something that Nagito would never shut up about, so forgetting about it would've been impossible.

Hajime: "Nagito believed... in his talent as the Ultimate Lucky Student."

Kazuichi: "I guess the last thing he could believe in was his own talent."

Fuyuhiko: "That's not so strange... most of us here have been relying on the same thing."

Hajime: "..." Even though Fuyuhiko didn't mean to offend Hajime with his words, that didn't stop him from feeling like he just got punched in the gut.

Chiaki: "But... in his case, it was pretty remarkable, wasn't it? It almost seemed like he had blind faith in it."

Hajime: "You're right... the same thing happened when he cleared the Final Dead Room at the Funhouse. And he did the same thing when the first killing happened at the old building near the hotel, he depended on his luck and was able to get cleaning duty just as he wanted. But his luck doesn't have anything to do with the case this time, right?"

Chiaki: "I just thought... it was strange that it doesn't connect to anything. He factored in his belief in us, but for some reason, he didn't factor in his own luck... no, there's no way. I mean... this is Nagito we're talking about."

Fuyuhiko: "W-What did he do?"

Chiaki: "You know... he wasn't just after anybody. He probably had a target. A target he was aiming for all along. A person to set up as the killer."

Akane: "A target? Who?"

Chiaki: "The target's true identity... even Nagito didn't know it. That's why he relied on being the Ultimate Lucky Student and incorporated that luck into his plan. As long as he had his luck, he believed the target he was after would pick up the fire grenade."

Sonia: "You mean... he left his plan to luck?"

Kazuichi: "He risked his life for that!?"