Chapter 37: IMITATION

Investigation of the Third Case (Second Half)

With the music venue completely picked clean of evidence, Hajime made his way to his next destination, the very same place that Sonia, Chiaki, Gundham, Kazuichi and Hiyoko stayed while Hajime, Mikan and Fuyuhiko were in the hospital. The motel. As he stood in the motel's parking lot, he could see Gundham and Fuyuhiko have arrived as well.

Hajime: 'I just remembered... I never went inside any of the rooms in the motel. Plus, I don't even know where Hiyoko's room is... I should probably ask Gundham if he knows where Hiyoko stayed.'

Gundham: "You're here, right? Come on out."

Hajime: "Huh? Are you talking to me?"

Gundham: "I can see you... did you really think you could hide your presence like that?" Hajime wasn't even trying to hide in the first place.

Hajime: "Hey, which room was Hiyoko staying in?"

Gundham: "Open the door to the centre room. However, are you prepared? Make sure you pray to whatever god you hold dear, and you might want to bring an extra pair of underwear. Kehehe..."

Hajime: 'I wonder... how does this guy talk to his parents and teachers?'

Fuyuhiko: "Hey, Hajime... can you explain it to me again before you go and check Hiyoko's room? What happened when you first discovered Ibuki's body?"

Hajime: "It was the same as when I found it with you guys. Ibuki's body was hanging from the baton lighting. However, there was no body discovery announcement made. That's why I went to get you guys. I met up with Chiaki at this motel, and when we were about to go back to the music venue..."

Fuyuhiko: "You met up with Mikan and me..."

Hajime: "And when we went back to the music venue, the entrance door wouldn't open for some reason."

Fuyuhiko: "So we had no choice but to break down the door... and discovered Hiyoko's body was suddenly there too."

Hajime: "Yeah, that's what happened."

Fuyuhiko: "This is the most important part... when you arrived at the motel, who else saw you besides Chiaki?"

Hajime: "Um... as I recall... besides Chiaki, I also saw Gundham and Monomi."

Fuyuhiko: "I see... so Kazuichi and Sonia didn't appear, huh?"

Hajime: "Do you think... those two are suspicious?"

Fuyuhiko: "Well... Hiyoko was killed between the time you saw Ibuki's body and when we broke down the door, right? So obviously those two are the most suspicious since they weren't with us."

Hajime: "That... might be true, but..."

Fuyuhiko: "While we're at it... let me tell you my alibi too. When the morning announcement woke me up, I went straight to the hospital. I saw Mikan panicking in front of the hospital and I asked her what's going on, she said Ibuki disappeared."

Hajime: "So... you guys split up and looked for Ibuki, huh?"

Fuyuhiko: "While we were circling the island, we came to the motel and saw you guys there."

Hajime: "Did you see... anyone else while you circled the island?"

Fuyuhiko: "No, we went to the movie theatre and that street full of machines to look for Ibuki, but we didn't see anyone. Are you implying I don't have an alibi because I didn't run into anyone? It's unreasonable for you to doubt me. The time that Mikan and I were on our own looking for Ibuki wasn't very long. In that short time, there's no way I could've killed Hiyoko and wrapped her around the pillar with duct tape." Hajime did feel like there wasn't enough time to do that after he left the music venue, but the fact is Hiyoko was killed, and they did discover her body. "What? Do you still doubt me? Well, I'm used to it... it's true I've done things that I deserve to be doubted for. So don't worry... even if you doubt me, I don't plan on dismembering you and encasing you in concrete."