Tommy's Different

KEZIA

It's been 5 months since the boys came home from France, and a lot has changed.

Lucy started pre-school, which was not a fun day. She screamed and cried.

The brothers re-established "The Peaky Blinders" and the betting business.

But most of all, Tommy has nightmares of the war. He normally uses opium to help. Sometimes, it's no use. He has the opium pipe laying on the night table on his side of the bed.

I wake up most nights to him tossing and turning, but I help him get through those nightmares. He tells me that I "make the shovels go away."

He's changed as a person, but I still love him.........

_____________________________

My eyes flutter open just to see Tommy stirring in his sleep, I sit up and pull a strand of my long ginger hair out of my face.

Suddenly, he jolts up, breathing heavily. I put my hand on his back, drawing circles on it with my palms.

"Tommy, you're home now. Not in France, your home in Birmingham." I whisper.

He looks at me, with a startled look in his eyes. He wraps his arm around my waist, and I cup his cheeks.

"You're home Tommy, you're not in the trenches. You're home with me, and Lucy." I repeat myself.

He rubs his eyes and looks out the window to see the winter fog filling the streets of Small Heath. "Let's get up, make some breakfast. Get your mind off of everything troubling you." I tell him sweetly.

He nods and looks back at me. He places his lips onto mine. "You know how to make me calm... make the shovels and the noises go away." He replies as we both rise out of the bed.

I walk towards the closet and grab one of Tommy's three piece suits, "Here, love." I say, handing the suit to him.

I grab a cream colored dress from my closet, and I walk towards the bathroom.

We turn around, facing different directions, and we start to get dressed, respecting each other's privacy.

I clasp my bra, and I slip into the dress. The dress has short sleeves, and it is a knee-length dress.

I walk over the night table and open the drawer. I take out my jewelry box and put on my Sapphire earrings, which I wear every day.

"Come down when you're ready." I tell him quietly. He looks back at me, with his now normal cold demeanor.

I walk towards the bathroom and brush my hair and teeth. I pin my hair into a braided bun, and I make my way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

_____________________________

"I have to go take the horse somewhere..." Tommy tells me as he puts on his peaky cap.

"I can come with you, I just got back from dropping Lucy off at school." I reply, looking up at him, from the living room chair.

"Zia, it's just something for the horse, nothing of your con -" He starts to say. But I cut him off, I stand up and walk towards him.

"Monaghan Boy, you're going to that girl who does the powder trick.... Don't make up shit excuses, Thomas." I say, annoyed, looking up at his icy blue eyes with my arms crossed over my chest.

He looks at me with a raised eyebrow, "Tommy, I helped you with the business even before the war, and I am telling you now that I'm not going to stop helping you, no matter how dangerous it is." I tell him loudly.