The boys are coming home!

1918

KEZIA

Since the war started, many things have changed for the Shelby family. First of all, my lovely sister in law, Martha, passed away - god takes the best ones first.

Secondly, my daughter Lucille Elizabeth Shelby - Lucy is now three years old. She's grown up without Tommy, her father.. she only knows him from stories.

Lucy, Finn, and John's children are partners in crime. Especially Finn and Lucy, those two will be the death of me!

And Ada, she's become very secretive. I know she is sneaking out to see a man... I wish she would tell me who it is, but she deserves her privacy.

Finally, my husband, Tommy, is a clay kicker in the trenches. He is stationed in Somme, France. God, I miss him, I just want him to come home already.

He promised he'll be home soon, he promised me.......

_____________________________

I hear loud giggles coming from down the hall. I finish washing my hands and wipe my hands on the apron wrapped around my waist as I walk towards the sound.

I follow the giggles to Tommy's office, I look inside and see Finn spinning around in Tommy's chair, and Lucy is standing off to the side, watching Finn.

"Look, Luce! I'm Tommy! I'm Tommy....by order of the Peaky Blinders!" Finn says to Lucy, doing his best impression of my husband.

I walk inside, "Oi! What do you two think you're doing in here? No one's allowed in here, except for myself and Aunt Pol. Go on, snacks are on the table." I tell them with my arms over my chest.

Finn glares at me and storms out of the room and up the stairs. I walk over to Lucy, who is looking up at me with her big blue doe eyes.

"Mommy.....who is 'Tommy' ?" She asks, I look at her as she holds onto my hand.

"Tommy... Tommy's your father." I reply as we walk back into the kitchen. She sits down at the table and starts to eat her plate of cheese and crackers.

I take off the apron, revealing my baby blue dress. I sit down next to her, holding my cup of tea.

"Can you tell me about Daddy?" She asks with a mouth full of cheese.

"Sure, what do you want to know?" I ask with a smile.

She is silent for a moment, and then it looks like a light bulb lit up in her head.

"Can you tell me about how you met?" She asks, I nod as I take a sip of my tea.

"Okay, Lucy... where do I start? Hmm....." I joke around as I look at her small smile.

"So, when I was 12 years old, and he was 14 years old, we met through your Uncle Malcolm because the two of them were friends. After that day, your dad and I were best friends, and we would do everything together. We would read, play chess, and our favorite thing to do was riding horses together. When we were older, teenagers, we started dating, and then after that we loved each other so much that we planned to get married. On December 21, I became a Shelby, and I married your father. Then we started our own family when you were born." I ramble happily, telling my daughter about me and Tommy.

"So you and Daddy are in love like Cinderella and Prince Charming?" She asks with a smile.

I giggle, "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

Suddenly, I hear the front door open, Polly and Ada walk in with grins on their faces. "The boys are coming home!" Polly tells me excitedly.

"What?" I ask, shocked, having to do a double take.