Part 12: I'm Not Ready to Die

Warnings: blood (not super graphic, but still), mentions of death, bullets, explosions, mentions of vomit, bombs and bombing

Jake watched as Bear climbed into the last helicopter, his heart pounding. From what little he knew, Bear and the others were walking into a compound that was fortified like Fort Knox and there was nothing he or anyone else could do to help. For some reason, he was unsure and if there was one thing his friends could say about him, they would tell you all about his self-assuredness and how nothing ever seemed to get the better of him. But today was different.

He and the Daggers stood together, watching as the Blackhawks took off through the darkening sky toward the desert. "Does anyone else have a weird feeling?" Fanboy asked as the last helicopter disappeared into the night.

He was quickly shoved by Payback. "Don't say that. You'll jinx it," his pilot told him. "The Seals have it under control."

"They do." Maverick took that moment to rally his squadron. The older man took a deep breath before speaking. "Alpha team, Hangman, Phoenix, Bob, Coyote, Halo and Omaha, get ready. You need to be airborne soon. Beta team, ready yourselves. You are in for a longer wait."

The pilots nodded, breaking off into their teams. Bob had held back, drawing a confused look from Phoenix, who stopped and gave her WSO a funny look before continuing on. "How are you holding up?" Bob asked, looking over at Jake.

Jake just gave him a funny look. "What do you mean? I'm fine." Internally however, he was panicking just a little. He knew that it would be a quick hop there and back. No acrobatics or evasive maneuvers needed. But there was still something about this mission that had him on edge. He'd heard a few of the Seals saying something about a friend in the compound, which didn't make sense to him. As far as he knew, Flare and Fireball had the intel, not Hazard. Well, who he thought was Hazard.

Bob's eyes narrowed behind his glasses. "Sure. And I'm Santa Claus," he said sarcastically. "You aren't hiding anything. You care about Bear and now you're worried about her. Am I right or am I right?" He'd cut Jake off, forcing the other man to stop in his tracks.

"You're wrong," Jake snapped, pushing past the WSO and headed across the tarmac to his plane.

"No. I'm not. You can't fool me, Hangman. I know what longing looks like."

Jake spun around, his green eyes full of frustration and anger. "I don't care if you know what it looks like, that's not what's happening here. There is nothing happening," he snapped.

Bob just smiled wryly. "If that were the case, you wouldn't have bitten my head off just now. Look, I don't care. But whatever this is," the WSO waved his hand around vaguely in Jake's direction. "Figure it out. You can't afford to be reckless on a mission like this. I won't have you putting Nat in danger because of your girl problems."

Hangman rolled his eyes. "Sure. Whatever." And he turned back around, storming off towards his plane.

The bespectacled WSO shook his head. This wasn't going to end well. Not with Jake unable to control his anger. Whatever was or wasn't happening between him and Bear was Jake's business, but it left the other man with a blind spot the size of the Commander they had met weeks before. He sighed, hurrying in the direction of his plane, ignoring the curious look on Natasha's face as he climbed in behind her. "Watch out for Bagman. He's in a mood," Bob warned his pilot.