Chapter 34: The End

ABBY

At last, my twenty-second birthday was here, and my mission was to make it one of the best birthdays ever. My past was almost entirely put behind me, and I was thrilled with how my life was going. In all my life choices, I don't have a single regret. Each one has made me become the person I am today.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Jace said, standing in his bedroom doorway. Technically, it was our bedroom now, considering I'd been sleeping next to him for a while now. "I've got some breakfast for you if you're hungry, birthday girl. French toast and eggs sunny side up."

I quickly sat up in bed with a smile on my face. "I'm starved, thank you!" Jace laughed and brought me the tray of food. He kissed my forehead and sat down next to me.

"Happy birthday babe. I love you."

"I love you too. Thank you for this breakfast. So far, it's yummy. What's the plan for today?" I asked.

"You're the birthday girl. We can do whatever you want to do today. Shopping, traveling, staying in, or anything."

"This will sound weird, but I want to go to the zoo today. As a kid, I always begged my parents to go. We ended up going all the time for my birthday. I loved it so much, and I want to take Bella. It'll be the last time she gets to go on a day trip like this for a while. She's starting kindergarten next week."

"The Zoo sounds great. I haven't been since Rose was little. This should be fun," Jace said.

"Why don't we see if Rose and the rest want to come too? We can make it a big outing. I'd love for us all to go."

"Let me text Lauren and find out what they're doing today. You, on the other hand, enjoy your breakfast. I'll be back in a second."

Jace left me to eat the rest of my breakfast, and then I started to get ready for the day. I didn't know what it would bring, but I was excited. It was my birthday, after all.

Once I was done about an hour later, dressed in shorts, a T-shirt, and good sneakers, Jace was outside waiting, leaning up against his car. "Thought we could take the Lamborghini. It's your birthday, and if you want, you can drive." Jace tossed me the keys, and I caught them in total shock.

Jace chuckled. "You are going to let me drive this? The most expensive car I've ever been inside, and you want me to drive it? Are you crazy?"

"I may be a little crazy, but I'll let you drive it if you want. Or I can chauffeur you around. It's up to you."

I grinned. "Oh, I'm driving this. Don't worry, I won't scratch it," I said.

"I'm not worried about it getting scratched. I'd be more worried if you got a scratch. You're more important than a car. This could be replaced."

I nodded. "I'm glad you think so highly of me," I laughed. Jace shook his head, but I saw a slight smile. I loved that we could quickly make fun of each other or crack jokes without getting upset.

Later, we all ended up at the zoo. The kids, Lauren, Callum, and I even invited Layla. It was nice to have her around. She was my best friend before I met Jace, and she's still a wonderful friend now, even though I don't see her as much. 

The zoo was just like I remembered. Lots of walking around but also so many cute animals. This was Bella's first time at the zoo, and she loved it. She ended up with many stuffed animals, and I knew they'd go right in the hammock she had at Ryan's house.

"Alright, I think I need a nap," I yawned. We'd walked all over the zoo since nine o'clock this morning, and it was now almost three.

"That sounds like a good idea to me. You ready to get out of here then?" Jace asked. I nodded and leaned my head onto his shoulder as we walked out with everyone. "I'll drive, sleepyhead."

"Can I come too?" Bella asked.

"I'll bring her by, don't worry," Ryan said, scooping Bella up. She and the rest of the girls were exhausted, too.

Back at the house, Jace and I took a nap. Bella slept next to me, too, with one of her new stuffed animals. We all felt refreshed when we woke up an hour later, and I got the surprise of a giant cake that said Happy Birthday.

"This looks delicious," I said. Lauren, Callum, Layla, and the kids returned to the house so we could share the cake. It was too big for only Jace and me.

Jace lit the twenty-two candles on the cake, and I blew them all out. "Did you make a wish?" Bella asked.

I smiled. "I did. I can't tell you, though, or it won't come true, kiddo." I squeezed Bella tight and then took some cake to smash in her face.

"Hey!" Bella took some cake and smashed it in my face too. We all started laughing, and Jace, the gentleman, took some napkins to wipe my face off, only to get cake in his face, too.

"I'll get you back for that," Jace whispered, making me giggle. He grabbed a knife and cut the cake so everyone could start eating. The cake was yummy, and spending time with those I love improved everything on my birthday.

When everyone had left, I decided I wanted to go for a drive by myself. "Hey, can I have the keys to your jeep? I want to go somewhere. I'll be back in a bit."

Jace was puzzled but handed me his keys anyway. "Going to pick out a car for your birthday? I can come with you if you want."

I shook my head. "No, I don't think I'll go there. I want to drive around for a bit by myself. I'll be back soon, though, don't worry." I kissed Jace and smiled at him. "Today has been great. It was one of the best birthdays I'd had in a long time. Thank you. I love you."

"I'm glad it was a great day. Be safe driving. I love you too, Abby."

While in Jace's black jeep, I stopped by the car dealership to browse the vehicles. I didn't intend to get one immediately, but I found my dream car and bought it. I'd pick it up this coming weekend, and I was thrilled. A brand new Ford Mustang in royal blue would soon be sitting in the driveway of the penthouse, and I couldn't wait. 

On the way back home, I decided to pop into an animal shelter. After all, it was still my birthday, and I wanted another present, so I got a dog. A cute puppy named Ranger was the sweetest yellow Labrador retriever I'd ever seen. He was a year old, so I adopted him and picked up things for him. Jace would be so surprised.

JACE

Abby had just pulled into the driveway, and I'd finished putting a fresh set of pink roses in a vase with water on the dining room table. I waited for her to come in, and she greeted me with a kiss.

"Aw, those flowers are so beautiful. I have a surprise for you, too," Abby said. I tilted my head at her, unsure of what she meant, until a yellow lab ran through the door and jumped up on me to give kisses. "Meet Ranger, our new dog."

I chuckled as Abby closed the door. "Hi bud, you're such a handsome dude. It's funny you got a dog," I said.

"It is?" Abby asked. She sat down in the chair and petted Ranger.

I whistled with my fingers, and in came a smaller yellow lab behind Abby with a purple collar on. "Meet Lady. She's only seven months old."

Abby turned around to see the other dog and gave her attention. "Jace, she's beautiful! How did we get two dogs at the same time and the same breed!" Abby laughed, and then she gasped. "Jace." Abby turned to face me with the ring in her hand that was attached to Lady's collar. I was on one knee before Abby and took her hands in mine.

"Abigail Lee Emerson, I saw something in you from our first meeting. Little did I know that something would have you included in my future. I love you and want to spend each waking and sleeping moment with you for the rest of my life. Abby, will you marry me?" I asked.

Abby became emotional and nodded as a tear slipped down her cheek. "Yes, yes, of course, I'll marry you." I pressed my lips to hers and slipped the ring onto her finger. "You're so creative I didn't even see this proposal coming," Abby laughed.

I embraced her as both dogs stood staring at us with their tongues hanging out. "I wanted to be different. I'm glad you said yes."

"Always and forever," Abby said. She locked eyes with me. "That should be our thing. Our saying. Always and forever."

"I like it," I said. "Always and forever."

My lips met Abby's, and we both smiled, knowing we had a bright future.