Chapter 23

ABBY

Shane ended up being a big help with finding something for Jace. It turns out that even though he hasn't seen Jace in a while, he is still pretty good at finding things he might like. I ended up with a couple of bags full of stuff for Jace, and I couldn't wait to give them to him. I even bought a new dress to wear to dinner tonight. I booked a reservation for just Jace and me tonight. He told me he was feeling much better, and I was glad. It would be our last night together before dinner at Marie and Richard's house tomorrow evening. Then we would fly home, and I could see Bella again. She'd been calling and texting me daily to see how I was. I'm doing great, and so is she. Ryan has been taking her to and from school. He's also been spoiling her with stuffed animals so much that she now has a hammock full of them in her room.

Back at the hotel, Jace was freshly showered and smelled of cologne. I hoped he liked the new cologne I got in one of the shopping bags.

"Hey, you're back. Did you have a good time?" Jace asked, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"I did. Shane is quite nice. When I met him, I told him you looked alike." I sat the bags on the table, and Jace looked at me. "What?"

"What is all of that stuff you bought?" Jace asked. He walked toward me to try and peek into the bag, but I shooed him away.

"You're being nosey. One thing I bought was for me to wear tonight at dinner. The others are surprises for when we are at dinner." Jace raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Don't worry, you'll get to see them soon enough. Now get dressed. I'm going to get ready in the bathroom. You can't see my dress yet."

Jace chuckled. "Yes, ma'am." He kissed my lips, and I took all the bags into the bathroom. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Making sure you won't snoop while I'm getting ready!" I called out with a laugh. I didn't know if Jace was a snooper, but he wouldn't be on my watch. I wanted to see his honest reaction to opening my gifts. It would tell me if they were good and if Shane knew his cousin.

A couple of hours later, for dinner, I was wearing a red long-sleeve dress with lace along the upper part of the backside of the dress. It was stunning to me. Have I even worn red before? I loved this color.

I applied the makeup that I rarely wore and strapped my heels on. When I was done, I stepped out of the bathroom and smiled when Jace's jaw dropped slightly. I stepped toward him and giggled. "Babe, I think you dropped something." I pushed his jaw up with my finger, and he smiled.

"Very funny." Jace kissed my cheek. "You look gorgeous. Red is certainly your color. Makes you look radiant."

Radiant. Huh. I've never been called that before, but I liked it. The definition of radiant is shining or glowing; according to Jace, that's what I was.

"What are you thinking about?" Jace asked. He put his hand in mine and kissed the top of it.

"The definition of radiant." Oops. That wasn't supposed to be out loud.

Jace chuckled. "Wait, seriously?" He asked. I nodded, kind of embarrassed that I said that. "That's cute. I love you."

"I love you too. Are you ready to go? The reservation is at seven-thirty." Jace nodded, and I quickly grabbed the two bags from the bathroom.

At dinner, Jace and I were seated in a corner booth. It wasn't too noisy. It was perfect. Jace and I could talk clearly to each other without having to yell, and I would be able to give my gifts to him without everyone staring.

Once we ordered, I put the gift bags on the table before Jace. He seemed surprised when I pushed them toward him and told him to open them, but he did. He pulled each thing out one by one: cologne, a new tie, a new watch, sweat pants because who doesn't love a guy in sweatpants, and a framed photo of us because, at home, the house needed to feel more homey. Jace's place was more prosperous and needed a touch of family. Jace and I aren't family, but I thought he'd appreciate something like this.

"Well, What do you think? Are the gifts stupid, too much, too little? I wanted to get you something because you've done so much for me, and I know I say that so often, but it's true, Jace, and you know it."

"Abby, I couldn't have asked for anything better. The only gift I need is you; you know why because you were the missing piece in my life. You and Bella." Jace pulled out the small blue velvet box I'd seen earlier, and my eyes widened. He popped open the box, and a beautiful blue sapphire ring was inside. "Abby, I love you, and before you freak out, this is not an engagement ring. It's a promise ring. I promise that I will always be there. I will always love and protect you and marry you one day as long as you let me. Do you accept this promise ring, Abby?"

Tears formed in my eyes. Growing up as a teenager, you think of getting a boyfriend, having your first kiss, and then getting engaged and married. Whatever order it happens, not all people get a promise ring, and I sure didn't think that I would, but here I am now, looking at this promise ring with the man of my dreams, holding it in front of me. He's asking me to marry him one day, and I couldn't think of a better answer. "Yes, Jace. I do accept it." The tear I'd held back streamed down my face as Jace pushed the ring onto my finger. I admired it and looked back at him in amazement. "Can I be honest with you?"

Jace nodded. "Of course you can. What's on your mind?"

"This morning, while you were still sleeping, I reached into your pocket to grab my debit card and found this box. I didn't open the box because I wasn't sure if it was an engagement ring. I didn't want to look at the ring, so I returned it and bought everything with Apple Pay on my phone today. And I didn't buy things because you got the ring for me. I bought them because you mean so much to me, and I don't show how much you mean to me enough. I know I say that all the time. I guess I'm saying I don't know your love language; I don't know mine either."

Jace was surprised. "Well, thank you for not spoiling that I had the ring, and I'm glad you didn't look at it. And I think my love language is quality time. I love spending time with you and Abby; being apart from you feels weird after everything. I don't want to leave your side; I want to spend time with you daily, getting to know everything I can about you."

"I want that too, Jace. My love language is probably words of affirmation, although I'm unsure. Still, when you called me radiant earlier, I loved that you're the first person ever to call me beautiful, and I think that's the moment I fell in love with you when you started to notice me, not as someone poor, but as a human being who needs help, love, and care. You're a man of honesty and kindness. I know everyone is not perfect, but I think you are perfect for me."

Jace grabbed my hands and kissed the tops of them. "And you, my dear, are perfect for me."