Chapter 6

ABBY

I was certainly stunned when Jace handed me his black card. The card that I knew rich people carried around because they had lots of money. I didn't have to see the card to know Jace was rich, but this proved it even more.

I shopped a lot from when I left the restaurant until a little before four p.m. New pajamas, causal clothes, new sneakers, a couple of dresses for work, some heels, and lots more. Rodney was such a gentleman and helped me with my bags. I'd even picked out new things for Bella. She had her eye on this doll for the last year, and I knew it would be a perfect gift. I had the worker from one store give me an extra bag in case Bella decided to look at the name on the bag out of the loads of the places I went.

"Abby!" Bella jumped into my arms as soon as she exited the preschool. "I missed you!"

I smiled and hugged her tightly. "I missed you too, kiddo. Did you have a good day?" Bella nodded and then got into the car with me. Rodney closed our door and headed back to Miami. "I'm glad your day was good. Mine was, too. Jace let me shop, and I thought we could get a pizza with his card to thank him. What do you think?"

"Pizza!" Bella squealed. She laid her head on my shoulder, and I had Rodney stop at the pizza place closest to the penthouse. It took about thirty minutes to be done, and it was five-thirty when we arrived at the penthouse.

Rodney helped me carry my bags inside while Bella took the pizza. "Well, miss, I need to return to Mr. Dawson to be there when he is ready to leave. I'm unsure when that will be, but please lock the doors. He should call you from his phone when we are on the way back."

I nodded. "Thank you, Rodney. Would you like a slice of pizza before you go?" I asked.

"No, thank you, miss. You and the little one have a good night. I will see you both early tomorrow morning." Rodney tipped the hat he was wearing, shut the front door behind him, and locked it.

Bella and I had a slice of pizza, and I put the rest in the refrigerator because I was still somewhat full from the Chinese food I'd eaten earlier with Jace.

Bella went into my room to put her stuff away after eating, so I walked onto the balcony to see the beautiful view, only to find the sliding door cracked open. Confused, I opened it and figured Jace hadn't shut it all the way or the maid forgot to close it.

I stepped outside to smell the air and feel the fresh breeze on my face. It made me want to stick my toes in the sand. Part of me wished it was a little warmer; I could've jumped in the water, too. Living in Florida made me love the ocean and sand so much. There was no other place I wanted to live except here. I wanted to travel to different places, but that was it.

A few minutes later, I returned to the house and noticed it was hushed.

"Bella?"

The playroom was empty, and so was the living room. I checked Jace's bedroom in case, though she wasn't there. I grabbed my cell phone and pulled up Jace's contact in case. When I entered mine and Bella's room, I found her on the floor unconscious. I felt for a pulse and found one. I dialed Jace's number since it still popped up on my phone.

"Come on, pick up!"

No answer.

I redialed the number and rolled Bella onto her back when I fell face-first to the carpet. Someone rolled me over, and my eyes met his. No, not again. Please, not again. Not Vance.

JACE

It was a meeting of absolute hell, and now I had all these people calling me on my work phone. While I was on the phone with one of my employees working from home, my regular cell began to ring. I walked over to see that it was Abby, but I couldn't answer.