Chapter 16

ABBY

It didn't seem real. None of it did. It felt like a dream, and I kept pinching myself to see if I would wake up, only I was awake, and this wasn't a dream. Ryan Oliver, Bella's biological father, had officially signed away his rights, and now I was Bella's guardian. No one could take her from me, and no one would ever harm her again. Not if I had anything to do with it.

Bella met with Ryan a week after we'd found out the truth. After spending one hour with Ryan, I realized that the child had never smiled more in her entire life. Bella continued to spend time with him daily, and now we were at the point where we trusted him. He'd shown us how much he loved Bella, and now he was taking her on her first trip. It was to the mountains where Bella had never been, nor had I, but I wasn't complaining about a mountain. Lauren, Callum, Rose, and Callum's daughter Mia were going too. Part of me was still skeptical about Bella being with Ryan, but it was only fear tearing me down.

While mostly everyone I knew in town was away on a trip, Jace and I were working. We had the house to ourselves at night, and spending quality time with him was excellent. That is until he got a call about traveling to New York for a business proposal for Dawson Enterprises.

"Babe, I don't have to go. You see how wealthy I am and that this company doesn't have to expand to succeed. I will stay here so you won't be alone," Jace said.

I chuckled. "Jace Dawson, you are not going to turn down a business proposal so I won't be alone for what a couple of days? I think I can manage on my own for that long. I've done it before, and I can do it again."

Jace smiled at me and kissed my forehead. "Are you sure? It can be scheduled for another time, I'm sure of it. They won't find another company like mine."

"Babe, please go. It's a great opportunity. I will be fine and if I need anything I will call you. Rodney is here to take me to and from work, so there should be no problems. Maybe I'll even drive myself to work."

"Okay, if you're alright with me going. I don't want to leave you, but you're right; this is a great opportunity. Blaze will take over my position while I'm gone. If he's a jerk, you call me and tell me immediately," Jace said.

"I think I know how to handle myself a little better than I could before. Don't worry, though; your number is on speed dial."

"Good. I will start packing up a few things, and then I will head to the airport." Jace took me by the hand and led me to his room, where I watched him pack a bag.

"Do you have a private jet too?" I asked curiously. It seemed only fair that if Jace had a yacht, he would have a plane, too. Some rich people even had helicopter pads on the roofs of their homes. Crazy right?

"I do. Well, it's not officially mine, but it is my parents. I purchased it for them so they could travel all over the world. My mom wanted to do that, though growing up, we didn't have much money. When I started this business, and it blew up, I paid back my parents and those who helped me get to where I am as much as possible."

"That's thoughtful of you. I'm sure your parents were very appreciative, and they use it often."

Jace nodded. "They do. After this quick trip, you'll get to go on the jet, don't worry. We will go somewhere special." Jace winked at me and kissed me. "I'll see you very soon, babe."

With that, Jace was gone, and the house was all for me for the first time. I don't think there was ever a time when I was home alone, but I was going to enjoy it.

The first thing I did was crank the music up loud and have my dance party. I felt like I was at a high school prom, except without all the people. I never got to go to prom, but I knew the music would've been loud, and there would've been a lot of sweaty teens with their boyfriends and girlfriends making out or doing the deed.