History Repeats Itself | Joel Miller

Start from the beginning

"Do it at the same time." the young girl suggested.

He looked at her for a moment and I nodded.

"Ok."

We both lowered our guns and I watched as he put his away. I did the same and reluctantly turned my back to them, wrapping my arms around my son's shoulders. I felt tears stream down my cheeks as I looked around, finding the best place to put him.

"What are you doing?" the young girl asked.

"I can't leave him here for everyone to see." my voice came out shaky.

I began to drag him away to a tree close by with a bunch of leaves and twigs. She started to walk towards me but the man stopped her, putting his arm in her way.

"Ellie, wait."

I managed to get him to the tree and my heart sunk in my stomach, looking at the bullet wound. My lips started to quiver, my head falling on his chest. The sob came up from my throat, starting to silently cry.

He was only ten years old and he turned a fucking gun on himself. I had him and his sister when I was 20, during this shitty ass world and with shitty ass father. Because of that, we were close. They learned way too much horrible shit to young in life.

"Here. ..." the man's voice spoke, bringing me back to reality.

I looked to my side, seeing the man putting my bag and weapons beside me, looking back at the girl I now know as Ellie "...Let's go, Ellie."

"You should come with us." she spoke, seeing her walking closer.

"Ellie..." his tone sounded more stern "...start walkin."

"We can't—."

"Go." he motioned his head forward.

I watched as the pair walk away, sitting by his body with my head on my knees.

"I'm so sorry, Liam..." I whispered, my lips quivering "...I promised you would see Hannah again, I'm so sorry."

The faint footsteps suddenly stopped, and I breathed out a shaky sigh, knowing I'm now alone. Shit. This is going to be horrible. The footsteps filled my eyes again and I looked to the side, seeing the two of them walking back towards me.

"Alright, so this is where they kill me." I muttered, grabbing the gun.

I'm not above shooting humans, I've done it before. I didn't like it, but I had too. If this pair is a threat to me, best believe I'm putting a bullet in them too.

"Alright, alright! Calm down. ..." Ellie put her hands up "...We're not going to shoot. He won't even let me have a—."

"Enough Ellie. ..." the man spoke, cutting her off "...Where ya going?"

"Uh, I'm..uh, I'm going to Wyoming."

He let out a sigh and nodded, walking closer. He held out his hand and I looked up at him, his face seems to be etched into a permanent scowl.

"So are we, we've got to stop somewhere first."

Well at least I'll have some company.

I put my hand in his, feeling his rough skin against mine. He pulled me up to my feet and I gave him a thankful smile.

"Thankyou."

My hand slipped out of his and I bent down to pick up my stuff. I heard him clear his throat, telling us that we should move. He started to walk in front of us, while Ellie hung back with me. I looked at my son once more with tear filled eyes, shaking my head. I hate that I have to leave him here. I let out a shaky sigh and started to follow the man.