chapter 34

The following day, Julian didn't show up. I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized I'd never see him again. He must have been too embarrassed to come back. I guess his pride was more important than his job and now he was on the lookout for a new one. Hopefully far away from here.

Leaning back into my seat, the clock struck 12, telling me it was time for lunch break. I swiftly got up and made my way to Oliver's desk to pick him up. "You finished?" I asked him. "Give me a second. I'll just send it and then we can go."

I nodded in response and pulled out my phone from my pocket to see if I had any messages. There weren't any, but what caught my attention was a missed phone call from my mother. Without second thought I called back and she picked up almost immediately which was very unusual.

"Hey, sweetie! How are you? I hope I'm not interrupted you while you're busy," she greeted me, making me smile. I hadn't heard her voice for a long time and missed it a lot.

"Hi, mom! Of course not, I was just about to grab lunch! Why did you suddenly call?" I questioned. "Can't I call when I miss my son?" She laughed. "Okay, okay... you got me. I actually wanted to apologize for not visiting you on Christmas. As you know, your dad and I are very busy and we wouldn't have been able to make it in time. That's why we decided to ask for a few days off and visit you now! What do you think?"

My smile grew at hearing the news. I would finally be able to see them again after such a long time! However, then I thought of Oliver. He was at my place basically every single day. Was it time to introduce my lover to them? I'd have to ask him first.

"That's awesome, mom! I can't wait! When will you two be coming?" I turned around to face Oliver and gave him a heartwarming smile. He would finally be able to meet my parents. He repaid the smile, but seemed nervous.

"Well... tomorrow actually," she replied and my eyes widened. "So soon?" I gasped. "Yeah. What? Are you afraid you won't be able to finish cleaning in time? Don't worry! I'll forgive you for the mess this time because I'm so nice!" she laughed.

"Of course your are!" I chuckled. There was a moment of silence before she spoke up again. "It was nice talking to you, Max. I have to go now. See you soon!" she said and hung up.

"Was that your mother?" Oliver asked next to me, reminding me he was still there waiting for me to finish my call. "Yes. And she will be visiting us tomorrow so I was thinking that I could introduce you as my boyfriend," I answered.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "I knew I'd have to face it sooner or later. But this is way too soon." I ruffled his hair in an attempt to comfort him. "It'll be alright, don't worry. My parents are very understanding so I'm sure take will take a liking to you right away!"

"I sure hope so," he replied and we took our things and left the office to grab some lunch like we usually did.

***

Time flew quickly and the next day arrived. Which was Saturday. I got up late because I loved sleeping till noon on the weekend. The bed just felt more comfortable in the morning and I couldn't seem to get up.

Once I forced myself out of bed, I was alone. Oliver told me he wanted to spend the night at his place, so he could get ready for my parent's visit. Both physically and mentally.

I spent the rest of the day alone. The house seemed too quiet and lonely. I ordered something for lunch because I was too lazy to cook it myself and ate it in silence, staring into space.

My mother texted me that they'll be arriving late in the afternoon, around 5 pm. I had a lot of free time left. Meanwhile, I listened to some music and decided to clean. Even though there wasn't anything to clean. I just felt bored. Not because of what she said.

When the bell finally rang, I hurried to the door and open it. A nervous Oliver awaited me with an expensive looking chocolate bar in his hand. I immediately asked him about it. "What's that?" I pointed at it. "It's a gift for your parents obviously."

"It looks like it cost quite a bit," I uttered, letting him in and closing the door. "Not at all," he answered. "I think I should've bought more stuff though..." I chuckled at his response. Who knew he could be like that just because my parents were visiting.

Together we waited for them to arrive, watching a movie in the meantime to help past time.

Just then the bell rang and we both knew it was time. Oliver gulped beside me as we made our way to the door. He hid the chocolate behind his back und nervously waited for me to open the door and let them in. Giving him a reassuring smile, I finally placed my hand on the handle and turned it.

"Max, dear! How have you been?" my mother greeted me as she cupped my cheeks and kissed them all over. I really didn't miss this part.

"Hi, mom! Hi, dad!" I replied and hugged them both. "I've been great." After saying that, I made way for them to enter and that's when Oliver came into view. "And who do we have here?" my mother exclaimed as she noticed him.

I smiled and my heart began beating faster. Was I nervous? Maybe so. I've never talked about my sexuality to my parents and suddenly grew unsure when it was time to tell them. But I mustered up the courage and proceeded as planned.

"Mom, dad... this is Oliver. My boyfriend."

A/N: Thank you all for waiting patiently. I apologize if this chapter is a bit short, I'm still working on my mental health, but I hope you enjoyed it! I'm planning on writing 1 or 2 last chapters + epilogue. I'll try to update faster this time so please bear with me.