chapter 33

"What do you mean? What relationship? There's nothing going on between us," I finally butted in, not being able to watch the scene unfolding right in front of me. Julian turned to face me, his eyes meeting mine for the first time. "Don't try to lie to me. It's obvious you're dating. I'm just curious as to how you managed to pull someone like Oliver. He's way out of your league," he stated while looking me up and down.

"Stop this nonsense, Julian!" Oliver raised his voice. "There's nothing like that between us so why must you spread false lies?! Why are you this sort of person?! Why have you suddenly changed one day and left me?! Why must you play with people's hearts?! I don't get it!"

Glancing up at Oliver, I noticed tears threatening to spill from his eyes and felt the need to protect him and get revenge at Julian for hurting my precious boyfriend. How could he be such a cruel person?

Suddenly, I noticed the crowd that had gathered around us, watching the three of us curiously and intently listening to our conversation. We must have spoken too loud and attracted the attention of others.

"Because I can't get you out of my head! I can't forget the amazing nights we spent together while I pretended to love you! And I don't fucking know why! I just can't seem to forget you! That's why I can't accept you going out with someone else!" As he uttered those last words, he looked at me, his eyes full of jealousy.

"But it's long over between us! Get over it and just move on! I found someone who treats me better and I fell in love with them, okay?! So stop bothering us!" Oliver practically yelled and in that moment he noticed the shocked people around us.

His eyes immediately searched for me and when they found me, he panicked. His mouth kept opening and closing as he was unable to form any words. He must have realized that he had just revealed our relationship to everyone, knowing full well I wanted to keep it a secret. "Max... I... I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to...," he apologized, but I just smiled reassuringly.

"It's okay. It was bound to happen one day and I'm actually glad the truth is out now," I assured him. Truth is, I was afraid of the reaction's I'd be getting, but it seemed like nobody cared that much and I didn't hear a single insult yet.

"Y'all hear that?! These two are dating! How gross! Two grown ass men!" Julian turned to shout at everybody, his finger directed at us. Whispers echoed through the room and I was beginning to grow nervous. What if people agreed with him? What if everyone turned against me? Would I have to switch workplaces with Oliver?

However, my worries soon vanished as a person I didn't expect at all came to my rescue.

"Oh stop this bullshit! Do you realize how pathetic you sound? Do you seriously think no one heard you talking about what you had with Oliver? And you still think you can speak ill about those two when you're no different?!"

"What- who even are you?" Julian inquired, anger evident in his eyes because he clearly didn't expect someone to join our side and defend us.

"I'm Sarah. Max's friend. And I won't allow you to insult my friend! So decide. Leave this place and never come back or learn to behave and leave those two the fuck alone! The choice is yours," she finished and others joined in, commenting things like 'that's right' and 'we don't want people like you here'.

I was surprised at all the unexpected support we were getting. But what shocked me even more was Sarah standing up for us. Even after I rejected her she still seemed to want to be my friend. And the feeling was mutual.

A furious Julian stomped out of the room without a single word and I knew I would never see him again. At least I hoped so.

Sighing, I felt as though a huge burden was taken off my shoulders. It was finally over.