With nothing else to do, I let drowsiness get the best of me.

'Angelica... Angelica... You have to wake up'

Who said that?

'He's back. He's almost here!'

What does that mean? Who?

'He's almost here!"

I gasped for air as soon as I opened my eyes. Trying to gain control of my breathing I took continuous breaths of air until I was able to breathe regularly.

"Where am I?" I sat up and frantically looked around to determine where I was through my blurry vision.

I was on a bed inside a large room wearing a simple nightgown, the kind my mother used to wear before sleep for comfort. The door was closed and there we no windows or openings. Aside from a drawer beside the bed and a chair, the room was strangely empty and I was alone. But I could swear I heard a woman speaking to me seconds ago.

'Am I hearing things now...' I thought feeling a strange sense of deja vu.

A new panic started to settle in. Wherever I was, the siren in my mind warned me to get away and get away fast.

Desperate, I climbed down from the bed in a hurry. But was barely able to take a step when my legs gave out and I tumbled to the floor.

*thud*

When I hoisted myself up, I noticed a numbness in my left hand.

Instead of getting up, I stared at my shaking hand blankly. Somehow I remember a wound that was not there.

Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my chest and my heart started beating fast.

"Argghhh!!!" I hunched over and groaned agonizingly.

 Sweat dripped down my face as I clenched my chest in a futile effort to overcome the pain.

After what felt like an eternity, the pain started to alleviate to a tolerable level. I crawled my way up using the chair as a support, and got to my feet. My body was weak and drained of energy like never before.

When I finally reached the door, I took a moment before opening the latch.

*click*

The door opened to another larger chamber which looked like a drawing room with expensive decorations and paintings hanging on the wall. The fireplace was lit with a pile of books on a table in front of it and an armchair facing the room I was in.

From the looks of it, I was in a mansion. And I have no memory of how or who brought me there. Seeing how the fireplace was recently set up, I concluded that whoever was here had not been gone for long and was bound to come back soon.

I staggered my way out and checked the hallway before I stepped out. Fortunately, there was still not a single soul in sight. Using the wall as my guide, I walked to the end of the hallway trying to find an exit.

Instead, I found a large staircase that indicated that I was on the top floor. I held onto the railing for dear life as I took each slow step careful not to fall down. In my current state, I could not afford to get injured before I reached a safe place.

By the time, I reached the last step, I was panting and sweating like I had run a marathon when a gentle breeze brushed across my skin.

*swoosh*

I followed its path to find the door beside the staircase slightly ajar with sunlight pouring in through the gap.

Reflexively, I went for the door and pulled it open. The sudden exposure to sunlight hurt my eyes and I shielded them with my hands as I stepped out.

The long corridor I was in was bordering a garden and sunlight was pouring in through an open window along the wall.

Initially, I thought of climbing out through the window. But a swift throb in my chest made me change my mind when I heard voices coming down the hallway.

Ahead I spotted two cabinets standing side by side with vases arranged inside them for storage. There was a small gap between the two that would be enough for me to squeeze in.

Just as the voices got closer, I slid in the gap between the cabinets, folded my legs in the nick of time and completely concealed myself. 

Holding my breath, I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

"There's a fire in the Saintess's room! Hurry!" One of the female voices said, urging the other to follow her.

"This is very inauspicious. What do you think is going to happen to the Saintess now that she is back?"

"Why? Do you really think it is her? What if she is an imposter? Wouldn't be the first"

"I don't know. I just feel bad for the Saintess"

"I do too Misty. But we need to hurry before the head maid calls us!"

After making sure that the coast was clear, I got back up and looked in the direction the women disappeared in. The two women were so engrossed in their conversation that they missed me when they walked past.

Surely I would encounter more people if I went in the same direction as they did. However, the possibility of an exit was enough to convince. So I decided to take my chance.

To my relief, I found the exit I was looking for not long after and stepped out into the sunlight. The vast garden was flush with lush green trees and plants of various kinds.

Not wanting to follow the marble pathway, I ran through the trees and headed straight without turning to look back. The rustle of trees and the feel of the cold soil underneath my foot substituted for the lack of vision.

It was only after I reached a stone wall, that I stopped and looked around. The wall expanded as far as I could see marking the end of the property. Thus if I could get to the other side of the wall, I would be free.

My first few attempts failed due to my shaking hands that were unable to hold onto the slippery wall. On my fifth attempt, I was able to successfully scale the walls and climb to the top.

As I expected, the edge of the property opened to a forest with trees grown close to the walls. Now all I needed to do was grab onto a nearby tree and I could easily slide down to safety.

I stood over the wall ready to jump when the world started to spin. At the worst time possible, the strength in my body gave out and my body fell backward.

To my surprise, in place of the cold ground, I felt a warm solid surface and an arm wrapping around my waist.

"You wake up after a mana outbreak and the first thing you do is run?" My eyes opened in a flash as I immediately recognized the voice of the person holding me.

'Kalan?' I narrowed my eyes. 

He was hanging onto a tree with me in one arm tucked toward his chest with a pleased smile on his lips. I was seeing two blurred faces overlapping one another through my distorted vision. 

Ruby red irises stared back into mine as my blurry vision stabilized for the first time and the two faces morphed into one.

'No.... no no no no. It can't be. NO!'

Everything came crashing down in an instant. From the day we accepted the escort request to the battle in Parthellam, I remembered everything.

He tricked me. It was him all along.

"Edward... you f*cking sonavabit-..." I was unable to finish the long-withheld swear when I faded into oblivion once again.