CHAPTER 32

"I'll take the chocolate crepe"

"I'll have the strawberry one"

"Got spicy chicken wings?"

Clive, Adelaide, and Angelica were in the market district to spend their day off. It was supposed to be a girl's day out. Yet Clive tagged along on account of Adelaide's insistence. 

Adelaide had originally invited her brother Adam. But he refused to come and she could easily guess the reason why.

"It's a dessert bar An-An. Order desserts" said Clive handing over the menu to her.

"Hmm" Angelica put her hand on the counter and skimmed through the menu

"What are you having brother?" She asked Clive.

"Chocolate crepe" He replied picturing its majestic appearance in his mind. 

The dessert bar they were currently at was famous for its double-layered chocolate crepe. The warm double-layered chocolate crepe with dark chocolate poured on garnished with fresh berries were worth drooling over.

"Then I'll have that"

"We are sold out on chocolate crepes. There is only one left" said the Clerk apologetically.

"No issues. I'll have it" Angelica closed the menu and passed it to the Clerk.

"Wait. Didn't you say that you didn't want anything that has chocolate on it?" Clive asked confused.

"Oh, I didn't want it before. But since you want it, now I want it too" Angelica replied stickling out her tongue towards her dumbfounded brother.

"You!"

Adelaide took her eyes off them for one second and the siblings started stretching each there's cheek as they continued their squabble. 

Even the clerk looked helpless not knowing what to do. 

"Sir... Mam... We can talk this out" Though she tried to mediate not wanting to disturb the other customers, it was to no avail.

"Lewww goooow"

"Yob lev goow"

Adelaide facepalmed at the sight of their childishness. 

The two of them were always like this. Their level of pettiness was beyond her. They would start squabbling at the slightest chance.

"Both of you stop!" She snapped with a fiery temper,

"You are not children anymore. Even four-year-olds have better manners compared to you two"

The siblings let go of each other and looked away embarrassed.

"She'll have a blueberry tart" She placed the order for Angelica. She was in no mood to take any more of their nonsense.

"All I wanted was to eat chocolate" Angelica mumbled under her breath

"What did you say?"

"I said I feel delighted to have blueberry tart"

Having placed their orders, the three sat near the glass window waiting for it to be brought in.

Children were playing out the window with carefree smiles. There were vendors on each side of the streets selling their products.

A street performer was putting on a show with a small monkey. 

A little monkey wearing a suit was mimicking its owner. It sipped tea with its legs crossed on its small chair and table. The monkey looked so elegant when he put down his teacup that Adelaide couldn't help but let out a giggle.

It reminded her of a certain someone's first tea party. 

It was a tea party of four consisting of the two little girls and their mothers. Countess Ashford was the host. The two little girls sat next to each other. 

By that time they had gotten more familiar with each other to the point that they were best friends. 

Adelaide took a sip of the tea placed in front of her. She felt the bitter taste on her tongue. Her face twisted by instinct but she immediately controlled herself feeling the gazes of the adults. 

Angelica on the other hand felt thirsty and took a big sip, only to regret the next second.

"Guhh........ I think my tongue committed suicide" She said popping a few sugar cubes in her mouth.

*giggle*

"What's so funny Addie?" Angelica asked waving her hand in front of Adelaide.

"I was just looking at the performance"

"That's one handsome monkey. Handsomer than my dear brother" Angelica said with a light whistle.

"An-An!" Clive felt attacked.

"Please don't start again" Adelaide sighed.

Right then the waiter placed their orders in front of them. 

The trio started chatting while eating their desserts. They continued chatting when the topic of t Imperial banquet came up. The ball was held for a series of five days during the peak of the social season. With the exception of the foundation day celebrations, it was the biggest event in the capital. 

And with the social season around the corner, Adelaide will be busy preparing for it. Leaving no free time to meet in the meantime.

"Will you be attending this year?" She asked Angelica who was busy chomping down her blueberry tart

"Probably not. It'll be hunting season soon" She replied with the spoon in her mouth.

"How many times does this make? You say the same thing every year" Adelaide pouted

"Boss's orders" Shrugged Angelica. She took a scoop from Clive's plate and put it in her mouth.

"But Clive will be attending to represent the Ashfords"

The Imperial banquet coincided with the hunting season in the Finnel mountain. By the time the banquet started Maria and Angelica would already be up the mountain, making it impossible for the duo to attend.

It took around ten days to reach the capital from the territory by horse carriage and four hours by warping. But the latter was expensive. The Ashfords did not indulge in wasting money, so they took the long route. It also helped to learn about the different territories along the way.

"Maybe next year?" Angelica said with doubt. She was skeptical because monster attacks were unpredictable at that time of the year.

"She'll attend next year's debutante ball" Clive said wiping the cream on his sister's face with a handkerchief.

"Or so father told me"