CHAPTER 81

"What!?" Gilbert exclaimed, confused by her words.

"What do you mean you're dead?"

Angelica shrugged and sat on the table.

"It's exactly as I said"

"I am a living dead... booo... boooo" she said, as she tried to imitate a zombie.

An unamused Gilbert stared at her with an expressionless face. He was already stressed out before she came and now, her nonsense talk was making his headache worse.

"Get to the point!"

Angelica jerked up from his sudden outburst. It was bound to happen since she was playing around in the middle of an important discussion, even though she was fully aware of his ill temper.

"Ahem... sorry about that" She said in a small voice and cleared her throat.

"So... As you know I 'married' a certain high-ranking noble" Angelica's face turned serious as she started narrating the events of the past few days from the day she arrived in Volos.

"Since I was brought in to anchor his position. I naturally became the enemy of the state to his relatives coveting the position"

"I was attacked by their spies from time to time. I was so close to being poisonous too..." Angelica shook her head to clear her mind.

"Of course, it was to no avail" Angelica ran her fingers through her hair.

"Hell... they even sent assassins after me" 

"Hold up... Assassins?" Gilbert interjected.

"What about the security personnel in the mansion? Were they sleeping instead of guarding the place?" He asked with his usual displeased voice.

"You know what that was exactly my point" Angelica snapped her fingers as if she just realized something.

"Just what are they even doing? During the first few attempts, they were so careless that it seemed like they wanted me to be assassinated tsk tsk...." Angelica clicked her tongue.

"Anyway one thing led to another, then this excuse of a priest wanted me to personally collect some 'blessed items' or whatever, not that I cared, for my so-called husband's needs"

"And then guess what?" Angelica asked with an amused expression, going off track again.

"What" Gilbert repeated flatly.

'I mustn't lash out now. If I do, we'll never get to the bottom of this' He thought gritting his teeth.

"My carriage was attacked and I was thrown off the cliff of mount Zion"

"And that's how folks the pitiful duchess Frost aka me died...dun dun dun" said Angelica, tapping the table like drum beats.

"Pitiful? You?" Gilbert raised his eyebrows in doubt.

From what he can see, Angelica was anything but pitiful.

"Yes. Me" Angelica replied with the same flat tone as him.

"There was this crazy guy who I'm sure is the leader of the group, he....he had green sparkles coming out of his fingertips. You have no idea how spooked I was" She shrieked from recalling the events.

The way Jace smiled was enough to send a creep down her spine. He was unlike anything she had ever seen.

"On top of that, he kept saying weird stuff"

"Heh...I can hardly imagine that" Gilbert smirked. His patience was running on fumes.

"Oh! then there was that snake mask" continued Angelica, ignoring his remarks.