Chapter 29: Sparring

(Rimuru POV)

Just for a reference if my kids manage to hit you even once it's their win. I found myself recalling the added terms of Loki's rules before we began fighting as I stood at the center of the expansive training grounds for the Loki familia's upper echelon. The earthen floor underneath my feet shifted as I adjusted my stance. A collection of old, beaten, training dummies, had been hastily shoved off into a corner to make room for this sparing round. Across from me, the first-tier adventurers of the Loki familia stood ready for battle.

Not just Riveria, Finn and Gareth mind you, Loki decided to add in Bete, Tione, and a young elf girl called Lefiya. I hadn't initially really noticed her, but she was part of the group I had met down at the lower levels fighting alongside the first tiers when they fought the demi-spirit on the 59th floor of the dungeon.

They slowly readied themselves as another Loki familia member, Raul, prepared to start us off. He nervously looked between the two of us and raised his hand in the air.

"B-begin." He managed to stutter out and almost immediately the group fell into formation with the two elven mages in the back behind Gareth and Finn while Bete and Tione stood in the forefront as the vanguard.

They waited silently as I stared them down.

You ready, Great sage?

<<Yes>>

I inhaled sharply before turning my attention back to the group.

I suppose It wouldn't hurt to have a little fun first, I decided. As This went on in my head Bete and Tione began to rush me and the two elven mages began to chant.

Reaching me first was Bete who came running at full speed and attempted to land a flying kick to my abdomen. Given his speed, it might've worked on most people but I wasn't most people. I sidestepped it letting him land safely behind me.

Woah, I felt the wind on that. I noted a moment later. But before I could even complete the thought Tione was standing before me swinging downward with one of her kukri knives. I lightly jumped back just out of range before shifting my body and flipping over Bete who had attempted to land a second kick to the back of my head, which I only noticed thanks to magic sense.

Bete whipped around and gave a small click of his tongue as we made eye contact for a moment. However, not wasting another moment he and Tione soon rushed me once again.

Before I even landed on the ground though the two crisscrossed paths several times probably in some sort of attempt to confuse me and before reaching just a step in front of me where I was only a few inches from the ground Bete threw a wild sweeping kick at my legs while Tione slashed downward once more on my head.

Looking at this display I had to admit in terms of skill they very well may have me beat. Especially without a sword and while normally there would be a variety of things I could do, the condition of me not being allowed to harm them made it a little bit annoying to use any skill I have too recklessly. I have no idea how much damage would be considered "harm" on Loki's part so for the moment I simply wanted to get an understanding of how they fought so I could deal with them in the best way possible...or rather so great sage could. In a way, I was gathering data for Great Sage.

That's right, that's what I was doing. I was definitely not messing around because I wanted to spar with these guys alright? alright?

Alright.

But well my point was that dealing with this would be tricky as I couldn't just brute force my way through. So using <hasten thought> to amplify my thinking speed I quickly considered multiple ways to avoid this situation.