Chapter 21: A Place to Return to

(A/N:

...Okay...don't get mad...I know I haven't uploaded in a while and I wanted to make a hiatus announcement, and I eventually did, (because I realized I could use conversations) and I know I could've done much better communicating, but I am back now for the summer.

for those of you who are unaware, I have been on a...small...break due to school work and a personal project.  However now that summer has come around I've decided to pick this back up and finish what I started.  (do keep in mind this'll probably take quite a while to finish) In any case I would like to apologize for my lack of clear communication regarding the series, I will try to do better moving forward.

and let me make one last thing clear, I don't and never have had any intention of dropping this series.  I likely never will.  I might take extended breaks, but eventually I do plan on finishing.

So with all that out of the way I can now finally say it, 

I am back 

and I won't ever leave you guys in the dark about this fic ever again.

Anyway this chapter is going to be slower so have fun with that I guess, goodbye see you guys next upload. bye.)

(Rimuru POV)

I stared silently at Sophia's sleeping face. Her expression seemed at ease for the moment so that was a silver lining to all of this I suppose.

"Haaa," I let out a tired sigh and leaned back in the chair I was sitting in as I recalled the events of the past few days.

At some point 3 days ago I was mysteriously forced into sleep mode and began to leak out an aura. Luckily for me, Sophia took it upon herself to hide me away and protect me for the past few days from everyone trying to find me...

She stayed in the dungeon for 3 days. Unsleeping until I woke up...only now was she allowed to rest...

Luckily for me, I was able to clear things up with the Loki familia afterward thanks to gaining a bit of Aiz's trust, but to say that Orario was still a bit on edge over the incident would be an understatement.

Sophia basically made herself a public enemy over me...which left me here, both thankful for what she did but also suspicious as to why she would do that. I haven't known her for a particularly long time and I wouldn't say the bond we made in the short time I have known her would be enough for her to pull this kind of thing in order to protect me.

So then why?

Even if I asked this question I wouldn't figure out an answer. I already realized that by this point.

Haa whatever, I simply wave it off. Or rather I decided to put it to the back of my mind for the time being. As much as I would like an answer if I wasn't going to get one then so be it. I would question her later, but for now, I'd simply be grateful for what happened.

I took in a breath and sighed, The Loki familia had decided to go on a trip it would seem. Girls only. They were going off to a nearby Port town called Meren, the boys were left here presumably to keep an eye on me, along with some other thing. I wasn't too sure what that thing was, but well it was.

I really just needed to get some air.

I take a step out of the room and put on my mask.

"Hello," the light voice of a child chimed behind me.

"...Amaterasu," I mutter the goddess's name.

"That's me," She nodded, but her voice lacked her usual childish playfulness that it had before. It felt older, more mature. "Mind if we talk for a moment?" she asked.