Chapter 27: Game Plan

(Rimuru POV)

"I'm sorry."

I stared silently at the back of Hestia's head which was bowed in apology.

We had moved to the couch in the living room, she sat across from me on a chair, a few magic stone lanterns emitted a soft glow as we spoke.

I took in a breath and sighed. "Raise your head."

I avoided eye contact when she did. I wanted to say that it was fine, but well, I'd be lying if I said she didn't make things more difficult for me.

I quickly scanned her small body, her hands were clasped together in her lap nervously, and her apologetic, yet determined expression made it clear how sincere she was.

I let out a second sigh, "Look I'm willing to overlook what happened in the past. You were just looking out for Bell, I can't fault you for that," I said, meeting her gaze. "I'll continue to help you deal with...this situation, so for now we can treat it as water under the bridge," I said.

While it was true that her interference was...unfortunate for me, it also resulted in Sophia finding and helping me, and as things currently stand I wasn't in a position to hold a grudge against Hestia. In the first place the fewer people that are my enemies the better so despite that I was willing to overlook what had happened, if only to make it easier on myself.

Her eyes shone slightly when I spoke.

"Thank you!" she bowed her head once again.

When she raised her head though I could see a small amount of concern hidden behind her smiling face.

"...what's wrong?" I ended up asking.

"Huh?" she seemed taken aback at my question. "What are you talking about?"

"The look on your face...something doesn't sit right with you..." I clarified. If we were going to become allies then better for me to understand what she was concerned about rather than writing it off now.

She gulped down slightly... "I was just wondering...why?"

"Why what?"

"Why you're doing all of this...even before now, you saved everyone from the Monster Rex on the 18th floor...and now you're helping us even after what we did..."

I blinked, "What you did to me wasn't so bad you guys deserved to die. Saving you from the Monster Rex was something anyone would've done..." I said simply. "And as far as the current situation goes...well, no offense but it's not really about you," I shrugged. "Amaterasu wanted to help you guys and considering what I owe her I just chose to help out."

Hestia looked at me thoughtfully for a moment before nodding. "I see...still thank you for your help,"

"Don't worry about it." I shrugged. I stood up from where I was sitting, "We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow. Make sure to get some sleep,"

"Ah actually before that can we go over everything that's happening tomorrow...it's kind of hard to keep straight..." she reluctantly admitted.

I blinked and said, "Sure." Returning to my seat. "So first thing in the morning, we will have Lily return to Soma familia, you will go to confront Apollo familia and accept their offer of a war game, and Bell will go to Aiz for training," I said. "They will likely go into the details of the wargame either that day or the next," I added.

I could see her grimace slightly when I mentioned Bell and Aiz training together but I ignored it. "Any questions so far?"

"Why are we letting Lily go alone? Wouldn't it make sense to confront Soma familia with the rest of our group?"