Chapter 22: Setting the Stage

(Rimuru POV)

I silently stared off at the night sky as the soft ocean breeze wafted through the air. The stars shone with a delicate beauty like nothing else in the world. Truly a sight to behold.

"Gahh!"

And the screams of the several people getting flung around like ragdolls only added to the ambiance- wait what?

"Umm maybe go a little easier on them? It's not like you guys want to kill them right?" I suggest as Bete, the werewolf from the Loki familia, sent an Amazon flying with a kick.

"Eh? The hell are you on about? This wouldn't be enough to kill anyone," he spat at me with a glare.

"...right," I sigh as I stare at the carnage and destruction caused by the Loki familia.

Just how did I get dragged into this whole situation again? I questioned...well it actually had a rather simple answer.

2 days after my conversation with Amaterasu it seems as though Loki familia got caught up with something outside Orario.

Well, I guess that isn't exactly how it went. One-half of the familia left the day I had the conversation and encountered some trouble, but only today did the other half follow them to help if we're being technical.

The long and short of it was that a group of the girls within the familia went to the nearby port town of Meren and the boys stayed behind initially. But something came up and they needed the boy's help with something, not wanting to leave me alone within Orario though they asked if I would accompany them, and not having much choice in the matter considering it was either that or put our current ceasefire into jeopardy so I decided to tag along. Luckily for me, Sophia had awoken yesterday, and as Amaterasu had assured me, acted as though nothing was wrong.

A part of me questioned what had happened in her life to walk off something like that so casually, but well I had never gotten around to it.

I also made her a gift to show my appreciation for what she did.

I definitely didn't just make it because I was bored and had nothing better to do before deciding to give it to her after it was done, okay? Okay?

Okay.

Anyway, when we got here the other half of the Loki familia seemed to be in a situation and the boys were now holding off this other group of people.

I wasn't too sure of the details to be honest, but well I was just sort of here as a guest of sorts not really engaging in any combat.

Considering the power gap that's probably for the best. I was a pacifist anyway. I'd rather not have to hurt anyone if I didn't need to.

This also wasn't really my battle to fight. So I'd leave it to the Loki familia to take care of.

But still, their methods were rather violent...

Nope, it's not my place to worry about all that! I turn my attention away from the fighting.

Ah, what a beautiful night sky. Never mind the painful screams of the people down below.

It was soon all over, things were taken care of on this end of things and it seemed as though the other part of the Loki familia were able to deal with their problems.

So back into Orario, I suppose.

I look back up at the sky one last time.

Oh, I guess this is my first time being outside Orario huh? I think listlessly. Perhaps it was due to my extensive time in the dungeon, but well, being back on the surface itself hadn't really set in until a few days ago. And now I was outside of the only city I had known in this world. It wasn't much, but it did give me pause for just a brief moment.