3 - 3 - The Boggart

You rolled your eyes, "Does it hurt terribly, Draco?" Pansy said. You wished it wasn't Dawn's day to pick the table because she chose her own, near Malfoy and his friends.

"It comes and goes. Still... I consider myself lucky. According to Madam Pomfrey, another minute or two... and I could've lost the arm." You laughed. Madam Pomfrey had the two of you out of there in 20 minutes with barely any healing done.

"Something funny, Weasley?" He asked grimly. "You're a terrible liar. We were out in 20 minutes!" "Shut up! You were barely even there. You don't know what really happened!" You rolled your eyes.

"Don't mind him, the git," Dawn said. "I'm just excited for Lupin's class." "Me too. Hopefully, he won't be like Lockhart." "No one's as bad as he was."

You stood in the classroom. In front of you was a tall wardrobe, rattling violently. "Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Seamus answered in a quiet voice, "That's a Boggart, that is." "Good, Mr. Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?"

Hermione jumped, and her hand flew into the air, "No one knows. Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so-"

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" You said, in unison with anyone else. You heard Draco mutter, "This class is ridiculous." "Don't judge him so soon. You might come to like it, you know." "As if." Malfoy rolled his eyes.

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the hex alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is... laughter. You want to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?"

Neville stepped forward queasily. "What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" Neville mumbled. "Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry." "Professor Snape." Some students laughed, "Hmmm... yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?" "Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either."

"It won't. But I want you to picture your grandmother's clothes, only her clothes, clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Neville closed his eyes and started describing her clothes, "That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. When I open this wardrobe. Neville here's what I want you to do, Neville..."

Lupin whispered into Neville's ear, and Neville's eyes popped open in shock. "You can do this, Neville." "Right then. Wand at the ready. One. Two. Three!"

Sparks jetted open from Lupin's wand, and the wardrobe bursts open. Instantly, Snape appeared, his eyes flashing warningly. He stalked forward. Neville backed away in fright.

"Think, Neville. Think!" "R-r-riddikulus!" Snape reappeared in a long, lace-trimmed dress, moth-eaten hat, and a crimson handbag. The class, including you, roared with laughter. Even Draco let out a small laugh that ended as soon as it started.

Neville blinked, amazed, then slowly grinned to himself. Lupin pointed right next to you, to Ron. "Ron! Forward!" Neville stepped back, and your brother stepped forward. Snape turned into a tornado, and a giant spider emerged from it.

A memory flashed. Fred and George had pranked Ron by turning his favorite teddy bear into a spider. Ron ran through the house, screaming and crying. They were both grounded for a week after that.

Ron gasped, and Lupin put his hands on his shoulders to aid him. Ron raised his wand, "Riddikulus!" The spider's hairy feet suddenly had roller skates around them as it shuffled, trying to get steady. The class laughed once more, and Lupin called Parvati Patil forward.

The Bogart transformed into a giant snake, and she used Riddikulus. The snake turned into a jack-in-a-box as a line formed. You were right behind Harry, who was now up.

The Boggart let out a blood-curdling groan as it shape-shifted into a dementor. Lupin jumped in front of Harry, the Boggart changing into a full moon, barely covered by clouds. He used the Riddikulus spell. The Boggart turned into a deflated balloon, which flew right into the wardrobe.

"Well done, everyone. I think that's enough excitement for today." The class groaned and exited the classroom. You were a little happy that you didn't go. You weren't even sure how the Boggart would take the form of a feeling.

"Remember! These visits to Hogsmeade Village are a privilege. Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again."

You walked with Dawn and Paige into Hogsmeade, gazing at the shops. "Where should we go first?" Paige asked. "Look at Honeydukes! I'd die for a bit of that candy! We have got to go in!" You and Paige followed Dawn into the Honeydukes candy shop. "Wow! Everything looks so good! What should we get? How about all of it?" "Calm down, you haven't even have any," Paige said, laughing.

When you left, Dawn needed a bag because she couldn't carry all the candy she bought. Paige dragged you into a bunch of clothes shops, and Dawn led you into a bunch of toy and candy shops. "What about the Three Broomsticks? I heard the barmaid's really nice," Dawn said. You walked into the pub and found an empty table. "I'll go get us some butterbeer," Dawn left.

"Do you have an idea what the Astronomy answers are? I swear, I haven't the slightest clue." Paige asked, looking over the people in the pub. You were about to answer when Dawn got back with your much-needed butterbeer. "I think half of the school's here. I saw Cho Chang, Hannah Abbott, Lavender Brown, and Blaise Zabini, all on that side of the pub. And that's just people I know. There were about a dozen kids that I've seen at Hogwarts."

You went for about an hour, drinking butterbeer and talking, before leaving to walk around. While you were walking, you felt something bump into you. It was hard and knocked you to the ground with a powerful force. "Hey, watch where you're going!" "Shut up, Weasley! Don't talk to me that way!" Malfoy said, getting up from the snowy ground. You got back on your feet. "Why the hell are you running anyway?"

"We tried to break into the Shrieking Shack before some old hag came out and yelled at us. We had to run after she threatened to tell Snape." "Like you could do wrong in Snape's eyes. He obviously favors you."

"Well, it's not that hard, Weasley. All you have to do is be good at Potions. It's only hard for people like you." "Oh, Merlin, don't you know how to compliment a girl? Lovely, aren't you?" You rolled your eyes.

"Both of you, stop bickering. It doesn't matter. We need to leave, or we'll miss dinner." You both went your separate ways, getting to the castle eventually.