1 - 6 - Fluffy

“That was terrible, but I don’t suppose I did too bad.” Dawn shrugged. Paige groaned, disappointed her smarts failed to get her a top grade. “I think I passed, but barely! I just could not remember what the hell goes into a Alithotsy Draught! What about you, Y/n?” “I suppose I did well… best I could hope for at least. Half of the stuff on there, I reviewed this morning. The other half, Snape had us memorized, and luckily I was able to do it.”

You looked over to Ron, walking with Hermione and Harry. “I’ll be right back, right? I need to seize the opportunity to brag while I still have it.” You laughed and they nodded. “Right then, we’ll save you a spot at lunch.” They waved and you walked over beside Hermione who gave you a polite smile as she continued, “But, I found that quite enjoyable.” “Speak for yourself. You all right there Harry?” Ron said. “My scar. It keeps burning.” “It’s happened before.” Hermione said. “Not like this.” “Perhaps you should see the nurse?” “I think it’s a warning. It means danger’s coming.” “What an amazing end-of-the-year present from the universe.” You rolled your eyes at the luck you had been greeted with. 

You walked out with the others onto the outside of the castle. “Of course!” Harry said, staring at Hagrid’s hut and making his way over, followed by you and his friends. “What is it?” “Don’t you think it’s a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon and a stranger turns up  who just happens to have one? I mean, how many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pocket? Why didn’t I see it before!?” By now the four of you were running, faster than you’d like. 

Harry immediately started questioning Hagrid. “Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?” “I dunno. I never saw his face. He kept his hood up.” “This stranger, though, you and he must have talked!” “Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him. I said, ‘After fluffy, a dragon’s gimme be no problem!’” “Did he seem interested in Fluffy?” Hagrid eyed the four of you, trying to figure out what you all were up to. “Well, of course he was interested in Fluffy! How often do you come across a three-headed dog, even if your in the trade? I told him, I said, “The trick with any beast is to know how to calm him. Take Fluffy for example. Just play him a bit of music, and he falls straight to sleep.” Hagrid’s face dropped when he saw you all look to one another. “I shouldn’t have told you that.”

The four of you ran away, worried he would question you further. He called for you, but the lot of you just ran for McGonagall. “We have to see Professor Dumbledore! Immediately!” “I’m afraid Professor Dumbledore isn’t here. He received an urgent owl from the ministry of magic and he left immediately for London.” “He’s gone? Now? But this is important! This is about the sorcerer’s stone!” McGonagall looked shocked as her facial expression changed. “How do you-“ “Someone’s going to try and steal it.” She looked at you all, unsure. “I don’t know how you know about the stone, but I assure you, it is perfectly well-protected. Now would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly.” She rushed you all out of the room. 

“That was no stranger Hagrid met in the village. It was Snape, which means he knows how to get past Fluffy.” “And with Dumbledore gone-“ “Good afternoon.” Snape said, slow and lowly. “Now, what would four young Gryffindors such as yourselves be doing inside on a day like this?” The four of you didn’t know what to say, there was no feasible explanation that could save you right now. Even Hermione tried, but was unable to do so. 

“You want to be careful. People will thing you’re… up to something.” His eyes scanned the lot of you, lingering on Harry. As soon as he left, Harry started discussing the plan. “We go down the trap door. Tonight.”

And that night you did just that. You walked between Ron and Hermione as a familiar road croaked on one of the chairs. “Trevor!” “Shhh! Go! You shouldn’t even be here!” Ron chanted. Neville arose from the chair, still in his pajamas. “Neither should you! You’re sneaking out again, aren’t you!?” “Now, Neville, listen. We were-“ “No! I won’t let you! You’ll get Gryffindor into trouble again! I- I’ll fight you!” “Neville. I’m really sorry about this.” Hermione said and put an end to the encounter with a simple Petrifucus Totalus charm. Neville fell to the ground with a thud.