2 - 7 - Dueling Club

Professor Lockhart stood on a stage, "Gather 'round! Gather 'round! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works." He pulled off his cape and tossed it into the crowd, caught by a Ravenclaw girl. "Let me introduce my assisstant, Professor Snape." Snape was looking as dull and menacing as ever, only this time he looked more miserable.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry, you'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear." He said, as if anyone thought he would, or could, really end the potions teacher. They walked further up to each other, raise their wands, bow their heads, then walk several paces back from each other.

"One, two, three." "Expelliarmus!" The spell blasted Lockhart across the room. Lockhart landed on his back, and a few students laughed at the sight. He struggled to his feet. He walked back to Snape, "An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy."

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape said, with a subtle, smug smile. "An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?"

You looked to your brother, knowing he wouldn't be able to fight. "Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the Hospital Wing in a matchbox." Ron looked embarrassed. "Might I suggest someone from my own house. Malfoy, perhaps." Malfoy followed Snape's gesture and got on the stage, as well as Harry.

"Good luck, Potter." Lockhart said. "Thank you, sir." The two boys followed the instructions the professor gave him. They went beyond Expelliarmus, sending real spells back and forth. Malfoy used the Serpensortia spell, sending a real snake to Harry. But it didn't go to Harry. Instead, the snake went to Justin Finch-Fletchey. There were hisses, both from the snake and Harry. It sounded weirdly like Harry was egging it on, but that didn't seem like Harry.

"What's going on?" Dawn whispered, you shrugged. "What are you playing at!?" Justin yelled at Harry as Snape killed the snake.

You talked to Ron the next day at breakfast, "What was that between Harry and Justin? And isn't Justin petrified now?" "Harry's a parselmouth, apparently. He was telling the snake to stop and not go for Justin. And yeah, Harry was found at the scene, but he didn't petrify Justin or Nearly-Headless Nick, I swear!" "I believe you, Ron. Harry wouldn't do anything like that."

"What do you want now, Malfoy?" "Why are you and your bloody father so obsessed with Muggles?" "What? Why?" "I dunno. I guess... you could be obsessed with snakes... 'cause snakes are awesome. Or like your brother... Charles? No, no, Charlie. You could like dragons, like Charlie, but, no, you like muggles. I just don't understand! Why?"

You thought for a second, "Well, it's like studying people abroad. Me and my father like learning about their culture, what they're like, what they do, everything about them, really." "Okay... So you know a lot about the Muggles then?" "I suppose. More than most, I guess." "Okay, then what is the perpose of a mic-ro-wave." He said, enunciating each syllable. You stayed silent, not looking at him due to your ignorance.

He smirked in victory, it pained you. "So, why're you still here?" "Dunno. Bored." "Your friends beating up the first years, are they?" "No, detention for beating up the first years." You laughed at the irony, although you felt bad for the poor first-years.

"Okay, okay," You said, falling comfortably into the moment. You and Malfoy usually didn't get along, but talking with him was nice. "What's your hidden talent?" "Oh, Merlin," he said. "Genetically, I can't get a brain freeze." "What? How does that even work?" You laughed. "I don't know! But I've tried, ate so much ice cream, but I've never gotten a brain freeze. I can't! What about you?" "You'll never believe this." "Hm?" Malfoy said, sitting up straighter. "I can disappoint anyone!" "Oh, Merlin." Draco said, laughing and rolling his eyes.

"No, no, be real with me. What's your real hidden talent." You sighed, "Alright, alright." You took off your robe, leaving you in elastic dress pants and a Gryffindor sweater. You took your foot and places it behind your head, along with the other foot. "I don't know where it comes from, but I'm fairly flexible." You put your legs back to normal, "That's weird." Draco said. "And being unable to get a brain freeze isn't?" For no reason at all, he seemed offended. "I think it's fairly useful!" He said, smugly.

"What's that book you're reading?" You pointed to the black and purple book in his hands from his chair. You had three to the side, seeing as you were in the back of the library. "'The Art of Potions and Draughts'. Interesting book, really." You scoffed, "It doesn't make sence, I'm excellent in Herbology, but I'm terrible at Potions. The two are supposed to go hand-in-hand!"

"It's really not that hard. Just memorize the steps, simple as that!" "It's harder than it seems." Malfoy said nothing, just read his book peacefully. "What about you? What're you reading?" "Spell book. Fred and George said I can help them make their wizard pranks if I can pull a funny prank. I'm figuring out what I'm going to do," you gestured to the three other books beside you, including Whimsical Wizarding Whatnots, Laughing with Legends: Top 20 funny entreprenuers, Sweet Spells and Sneaky Tricks: Unveiling Wizardly Pranks.

"Do you have a plan yet?" You laughed lightly, "Of course not, otherwise I wouldn't be here." "Let me see that." Draco said, snatching your book. "What if you played a prank on that stupid twin of yours?" "Maybe, but I'm not really looking to put a strain on my relationship with my brother, right now." "Oh, hell, no. If you're going to play a stupid prank, it needs to be on Weasley." You rolled your eyes.

"Well..." You said, and Draco looked at you. You knew you shouldn't have said this, but it was too late. "Ron's afraid of spiders. B-but to play... that kind of a joke on him would be c-cruel!" "Relax, relax, I'm not thinking anything too mean. Just a bit," he said with a devilish smirk.