One of the guards standing by the wall nodded, moving closer to the cell door to show that he was happy to watch us.

"Jared, I'll be fine," I told him, and he huffed, cupping my face and pressing his lips to mine. Amelia scoffed at the sight, averting her eyes and fiddling with the cell flooring.

Everyone else left, Dylan nodding at me as he leaned against the cell door. I settled down by it on the ground, not wanting my conversation with Amelia to appear intense. I wanted her to know it was going to be a casual chat.

"Well, go for it," Amelia spoke, looking extremely disinterested.

"I'm just interested to know why you decided to come back for Jared? You said you had been watching him for a while and missed him, then why not confront him about your feelings? Why resort to violence?"

Amelia sighed. "I wanted him back, but I wasn't sure about him. Then I saw he had moved on and found himself another mate. The Moon Goddess is a bitch for replacing me. Mates are supposed to be forever and she decided to give him someone else at the drop of a hat."

I stared at her, licking my lips, unsure what to say.

"You wanted the truth. That's the truth."

"How would you feel if you were me, though? I was just dragged into this supernatural world when I had no idea that werewolves even existed. I knew nothing about you when I met Jared, and I'm sorry that you're hurting over our relationship. But we love each other and from what I've heard, you didn't value Jared when you had him."

What I had said was shitty, but Amelia needed to hear the truth. She had really hurt Jared and their relationship had effected him significantly. It wasn't fair that she had decided to return because she was jealous.

Amelia hesitated. "Look, I know that I hurt him by leaving, but it's wrong for him to have another mate. You shouldn't be together. He gave up so easily."

"You left, Amelia. You left for three years. What was he supposed to do? He didn't ask for another mate, either. That was something that your Goddess decided."

She stared at me, rolling her eyes and growling. "I don't understand what we're achieving by having this conversation."

"You hurt me, and my Mother. You took your anger out on us when this isn't our fault. We are innocent in all of this. There's nobody you should be targeting."

"Easy for you to say," Amelia grunted. "You've got Jared wrapped around your little finger. I once had that and I deserve that again."

I chewed on my bottom lip. I was frustrated that she wanted my mate. I loved him. He was mine and we belonged together. She may have had him once but it wasn't going to happen again.

"If he hadn't broken our bond, he would still love me," Amelia said, laughing spitefully. "He just thinks that he's not in love with me anymore."

I wasn't sure if Jared had ever loved Amelia. They hadn't known each other long, but I wasn't going to comment on it. Jared had told me that he had stopped wanting Amelia before he had broken his bond with her. He realised that she wasn't the type of person he wanted and the only reason he was hurting was because his body recognised that he wasn't near his mate.

I wasn't going to tell Amelia that though. There wasn't much point and it would have just angered her more. That wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to have a discussion and understand her thought process better.

"If I had the chance, Anna," Amelia spoke. "I would do what I did to you over and over again. I'm looking out for myself and my feelings. I don't give a shit about you and I still intend to make your life a living hell, even if it takes me years to do so."

I scowled at her. This was pointless.

Getting up, I shook my head at her. "You're holding yourself back, Amelia. You could allow yourself to move on and make something of yourself, but instead you're putting all of your time and effort into ruining other people's lives. It won't get you anywhere and in the end, you'll be just as unhappy as you when you first left Jared."

"I don't care about your opinion," she muttered, looking frustrated by my words.

"That's fine." I nodded. "But holding onto the past is making you a bitter person. It will consume you soon enough."

I nodded at Dylan and the guard, letting them know that I was done with this. I walked down the corridor, exiting the building, spotting Jared waiting anxiously on the side.

He breathed a sigh of relief once he saw me, wheeling over and pulling me down onto his lap. I smiled at him, wiping away an angry tear that was trickling down my cheek.

I was frustrated. Amelia was going to rot away in there for the rest of her life all because she couldn't let go of the hatred she held in her heart. She couldn't change the past and she had to accept what she had done.

"How was it?" Jared asked, but I arched my brow. I knew he had been listening.

"Can we go back to the house?" I asked. "I want to see my Mother."

"Of course we can," Jared spoke. "I'm so proud of you by the way."

I smiled, kissing him softly. "Thank you."

"Let's go and see if your Mother is awake."

•••

Amelia grinds my gears.

Read the completed book on my patreon early!

patreon.com/Loveme105

The link can also be found in my bio!

Please vote if you enjoyed!