19

an: see what voting and commenting does?
even I can't believe I have another update
it's all in the energy you guys pour through your words

R E E C E
19 | drag me down

Shiver the Betrayer wags his tail as he watches me adjust my watch. I give him a side-eyed look. His sparkling eyes make their full attempt to melt my heart.

No, boy. Not that easy.

"You're still grounded," I tell him and he immediately drops his tail, the sides of his mouth dragging down. I face him, hands on my hips. "Don't look at me like that. Don't take advantage of my weaknesses."

He keeps staring at me. My traitor heart feels weirdly sad as I crouch before him. I mean to tell him that I can't take him with us but the words don't find the way out of my mouth.

"Hanson will watch over you," I say instead, scratching the back of his ear. "Don't mess with him too, okay?"

At the mention of Hanson, his tail lifts again.

Such a traitor

"I have to say—I'm so glad Tia is staying here. Your kitchen finally has snacks."

The annoying voice cuts into our conversation. My nerves grow on edge as I stand up, hands inside the pockets of my dress pants—clenched tight. Hanson walks out into the sitting room with a packet of Tatia's chips. He puts a slimy hand inside the packet, his teeth crushing the snack between them. He is in his work clothes still—in a white shirt and well-fitted dress pants shaping his long legs. His hair is askew, glasses being pushed up the bridge of his nose every second.

"Tia?" I repeat. "You're on a nickname basis with her?"

Hanson comes near me, intending to get to the couch but my body stops in his path. He rolls his eyes.

"She has really good fashion taste. I text her every night about my next day's outfit and she picks it. That girl is a dream."

He doesn't get to finish his sentence before I see red. I force a hand to his chest, pushing him into the walk behind him. Startled, he stares at me with wide eyes, his expression completely perplexed.

I grab a fistful of his shirt, keeping him attached to the wall.

"Shut the fuck up," I seethe against his face. "Listen, I can't stop Tatia from getting along with you but don't think I don't know for a second what you're trying to do."

Hanson glares at me cross-eyed. He seems to be in thought for a second before sighing.

"Let me guess—you think I'm getting close to her so that I can find ways to get her out of here?" He somehow puts all my thoughts in the correct speculation. "God...Reece! You're so petty."

I lock my jaw at his insult, twisting his shirt tighter in my fist so that it strains against his chest. I give him a once-over, a muscle spasming in my jaw. I regret everything I did with him. If I had a chance to fire him, I would have already but as Tia says—I can't work without him managing my ass 24x7.

"I don't trust you."

He raises his hands above his head, a few crumbs of chips dropping onto his hair.

"Why? Because you ended things with me? You really think I'm still stuck on you?" he scoffs bitterly. "There are many fishes in the sea, okay? I'm a variety kind of man."

He doesn't meet my eyes as he says that, proving my doubts that he is still stuck in the past. I lean into him, eyes glowering as they meet his own.

"I'm warning you, Hanson..." My fingers itch to wrap around his throat and choke him. That would be one way to end this pathetic problem once and for all. I somehow keep that urge at bay. "Tatia is mine. You try any shit with her. I'll kill you myself."