04

T A T I A
04 | the naked billionaire

If someone had asked me before whether I would find myself homeless someday, I would have laughed in their face.

I was born rich — adequately rich. My father never left any space for poverty in my life. I got whatever I wanted, so sometimes I just asked for things to challenge his promises. He always proved himself right. Carlo Holland had a knack for keeping his life private. All his wealth was a mystery to me growing up until one day, it wasn't a mystery anymore.

His wealth wasn't his at all. He had been living his life over sinful money — money he earned in exchange for doing favors for the mafia. His job was a lie. He wasn't a contractor for a wealthy man like my Mom and I knew him to be. He was an assassin for Casteel's father. He had tailored his life around killing people, removing any inconvenient ones at Casteel's Dad's orders. His whole life was mapped in blood which he thought we would never discover.

Then Casteel discovered me.

He wanted me from the very first time when I locked eyes with him behind a half-shut door, eavesdropping upon his conversation with my Dad some years ago. I was nineteen; he was twenty-five.

I feared his very sight. There was a darkness that walked with him no matter how much of a gentleman he tried to look. It walks with him still.

He was pissed when my father wouldn't let him have me. My creator had strict boundaries drawn to protect me from the world of bloodshed, even though he had been the inflictor of one of my greatest torments — a punishment gone wrong.

I was marked by Casteel Lorenzo. His eyes held a promise that he would have me someday — by hook or by crook.

My Dad thought he had me protected but I knew that nothing could stop that monster from getting what he wanted. So, I shifted cities, ran from everything that was associated with him, and settled in a nook of LA. I couldn't erase everything about myself but the least I could do was keep away from Casteel.

For three years I indulged myself in other men, found myself a best friend to die for, and avoided being in the spotlight even at my job.

Then my father died and all hell broke loose.

Casteel found me. This time, I had no choice but to comply with his demands. I went as close to being his bride but last-minute adrenaline was enough to have me escape through the ventilation tracts of the hotel.

I couldn't have thought that the path would lead me straight to Reece Pierce's penthouse.

It is a spacious place, surrounded by French doors, glass walls, and everything minimalistic. The corridor from the entryway enters straight to a living room with two different seating arrangements with hardwood floors and wood-paneled walls. I glance at the classy decor where one seating area has a semi-circular silver couch standing opposite a wall TV. The place has plenty of natural lighting coming from the large windows which make it appear comfortable and clean. A lemony scent fills the air, adding a sweet touch to the atmosphere. Luxury radiates from every corner.

"This is the living area, there's another sitting room that way, an outdoor area that way, a water closet this way, the kitchen's that way," Reece informs me, directing a finger towards different directions of the 78th-floor penthouse of the residential building and sounding grumpy. "I don't have a cook so you gotta make your food here. Don't worry about mine."

He stops, turning on his heels with his hands on his hips, blowing an exasperated sigh between two puffy lips that have me distracted by their shape.

"Where shall I sleep?" I ask. "I can take the couch here too. There'll be no trouble from my side."