chapter 1

In the Moyong family, a new birth brought chaos to the household. Voices echoed throughout the room as elders and young ones alike shouted above the din. 

In the center of it all stood a man, his voice rising above the rest. "I didn't know she was part of the Demon Cult!" he shouted. "I swear to the heavens, I had no idea!" The woman he met on his travels, the one who became his lover and who was welcomed by the elders, had become pregnant. 

And now, she had given birth to a young girl with streaks of white hair and lashes like white snow. But the woman had been part of the Demon Cult, and she had vanished as suddenly as she arrived. The room was filled with confusion and panic, as the man realized the betrayal he had been subjected to.

One of the elder men stumbled forward, his legs giving way beneath him, sending him crashing to the floor in a heap. "This is it!" he exclaimed, his voice strained as he struggled to regain his breath. "This is the end for the Moyong Family!"

The elder's words echoed throughout the room, striking a chord of panic in the hearts of those gathered. "We'll be at the center of rumors, and everyone will be suspicious of us," the elder continued, his voice shaky with fear.

One of the elders let out a low growl, his eyes filled with a cold fury.

"We should kill it," he muttered through gritted teeth, a dark glint in his eye.

The man who had been holding his infant let out a strangled cry. "Kill... Kill it?" he stammered, his voice barely above a whisper. "B-Brother... W-What are you talking about?"

The room erupted into chaos as the family members turned on each other, their voices rising in a cacophony of confusion and horror.

The elder's eyes flashed with a cold fury as he crossed his arms and glared at his younger brother. He spoke slowly and deliberately, his voice filled with a sense of conviction that brooked no disagreement.

"The only people who know about your child's birth," he said, his eyes still fixed on his brother, "Are our neighbors in Diancang. We can make it look like the birth was a failure, that both the child and the mother did not survive. "The rest of the room was utterly silent as if they had been struck dumb by the elder's words. 

"This is your doing, and we cannot let this family fall because of you," he spat in a cold voice, the words like stones in his mouth. 

The man whose child was at the center of this controversy held the infant tightly, her small body trembling in his arms, seeing all his family beginning to agree with his elder brother's statement. 

Even though he knew that it was his fault that they were in this situation, he couldn't bear the thought of his own child being caught up in the politics of the Moyong Family. He shook his head, unable to find the words to express his reluctance to this plan.

The door whipped open with a startling force, leaving a gust of wind in its wake. The younger members of the Moyong family quickly bowed their heads, pressing their hands to their fists in respect. The elders remained silent, their eyes trained on the figure that stood before them. She was an old woman, with long black hair that laced her face with a few streaks of gray. Her gaze was sharp and piercing, and the air seemed to still around her as if she held the power to freeze time itself.

The silence was shattered as the door suddenly whipped open, revealing an old woman with black hair and streaks of grey. She stood in the doorway, a piercing glare in her eyes that made the younger adults in the room instinctually bow and put their hands and fists together. The five elders, too, remained still, eyes trained on the old lady as she entered the room.