Chapyer 38

Darius:

The past few days have gone by in a fucking whirl.

We've been in school so our interactions have been limited but in between our classes, we've hung out, gone out. Whether that be with our friends or just us.

I love the way her cheeks turn pink whenever we get close. Her little intakes of breath. Her beautiful, innocent doe eyes. The way her full lips part.

And fuck, how she clutches me when I slide my tongue into her pretty mouth. Either by the sleeves of my shirt, the lapels of my blazer.

I want to know what her grip feels like on my hair when I-

"Yo, Ford! You ready?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Coach's undifferentiated voice.

Just as quick as the days have gone by, so has the time up until this moment.

We didn't come together. I had practice right before and she had her ballet class.

Thank god it's a home game. Makes things a whole lot easier.

I don't even know for certain that she's out there. I told her about it on the day where I ran into her date on the road. Lovely meeting, that was. And we've barely spoken about it since.

Though, I did tell her after school that I'd see her later tonight and she did give me one of her reassuring smiles. I think that was confirmation, enough.

I mean, it doesn't matter that much that she's here, tonight. Everyone knows by now not to touch her. Us.

Maybe if I just take a quick look...

"Ford!"

"Yeah. I'm- I'm here, Coach."

"Good. Now, hype these boys up, will you?"

"Yeah."

I grab my helmet and stick from the bench and walk to the door where we'll be exiting.

"Listen up!"

All eyes on me.

"We're against the Browning assholes, today. You all remember when they tried to play dirty on their home rink and thought they'd get away with it?"

There's a collective swell of angry agreements.

"They tried to fuck our bunnies, too." John calls.

"That, they did, Cunningham." I point at him. "But they failed. They got no ass and they got no pucks past our net. The only one they did was cause for a penalty and their left defender in the box for an entire period."

A series of cheers follow.

"We won that game. And we're going to win this one, too. Just like we've won every game this season. So, let's go out there and teach these pussies a second fucking lesson."

Ruckus emerges as the team lifts their sticks into the air, sharing boots of pride and encouragement.

"Don't worry, cap!" Clayton gives me a salute. "We'll make sure to give your girl plenty to cheer about."

"Fuck off, Freeman." I flip him off. But I can't help the buzz that the thought gives me.

Did he see her? Is she here?

I feel an arm wrap around my shoulder and then a whisper is at my ear. "Front row. Right where you put her. She has glitter hearts on her face."

"Really?" I ask, then clear my throat. "Good."