Dearest JJ

Soon enough, things were starting to simmer down with me and Parker.
Until the night he threw a party.
That's when it all went downhill

~
Tate's P.O.V

"No." I stand firmly by my choice to not let him throw a party. He had been begging for hours. Ash and Drew had also started to grovel with him.

"Come on, Tate. It's fucking summer! Loosen up!" Drew nudges my shoulder. I roll my eyes and fan myself. It was mighty hot in here.

"Please, Tate?" Parker asks, intertwining his fingers. Ash and Drew make puppy dog faces on either side of Parkers shoulders so it's just one big begging fest.

"Fine." I grunt, they start bellowing in cheers.

"With conditions." I start. "You all must be here for cleanup after, you got that?" I point at them. They stiffly nod and then start running around the house, except Parker. He pecks me on the cheek.

"Your the best, Tate." He smiles, then goes to find the guys.

My cheeks are burning from the heat of his lips and my heart is racing.

I go back to my room to find Echo lying down on my bed.

"How did you get here?" I ask, plopping down beside her. She has a solemn look on her face and she isn't wearing her glasses. She doesn't smile or even acknowledge me.

"When were you going you tell me?" She starts, still facing away from me. I nudge her shoulder with a giggle.

"About what?" I ask. "I tell you everything." I smile. She doesn't.

"Oh so you told me about Ethan and his grave confession of love?" She finally turns to face me. She doesn't even look mad, she look hurt. Which is worse.

"Oh my god." I drop a hand over my forehead. "I am so sorry. I have no idea why I didn't. I swear I meant to." I mutter. She shakes her head.

"It's your business, I get it-"

"No, remember. Your burdens are mine too. I'm sorry I didn't tell you." I beg her. She smiles sadly at me and light punches my arm.

"He really wants to see you. I told him you and Parker drove down to his dad's place, which he was not happy about." She murmurs. My eyes widen.

"You talked to him? What did he say?" I ask.

The truth was, I had been meaning to see him, I just didn't know what to say. He looked so happy and I couldn't hurt him. I don't know if I can. He means so much to me, he's been there for me through everything. But more than friends? I don't know.

"He told me he said he loved you and you've been awol ever since." She looks disapprovingly at me. "Don't string him along Tate, he doesn't deserve that." She says. I try to keep the anger out of my voice.

"I'm not stringing him along. He just dropped this big ass bomb on me and what he expects me to make up my mind in 5 seconds?" I say, exasperated. I hate conflict.

"Tate, that's the thing, you shouldn't have to think about it. When you know, you know." She says softly.

I never thought about Ethan that way. He was extremely handsome, especially his smile. He is one of the kindest people I had ever met, always putting other before himself. He makes light of serious situations. He's funny and sweet but I don't know if he's right for me.

What more could I ask for from a great guy?

"I don't know, Echo I really don't." I bury my face in the crook of her shoulder and she pays my arm.