Dearest Road Trips

Hey guys!!
Beware this is a short chapter. But I will be posting another along with it!

"If love is the treasure, laughter is the key."

Tate's P.O.V

Ten Days
The amount of days I have been avoiding Ethan. He's called me countless times but I have no idea what to say. I'm not even looking to be in a relationship. I just wanted to spend my summer in peace.

Why can't I at lease have that?

I remember the first time I met Ethan, like it was yesterday. I was walking around campus and I bumped into him. He was obviously flirting with me. I couldn't tell by the way he was acting. He showed me around a bit, then asked me out, just as friends. I know but after that he never made a move, so I just stopped hoping we would.

I'm grateful that he didn't in some ways. I mean, what are the chances we would be friends if things ended badly? And he was such a good friend. One to keep around for a long time.

Im sitting quietly in my room when my phone rings. James. I smile.

"Hey James" I say. I haven't spoken to him in a while, but when I did, it was only for a couple minutes.

"Hey hun, I just wanted to make sure our plans were still solid." He says. Plans?

"What plans?" I ask. I probably sound like a shitty person since I forgot.

"Oh Parker didn't tell you? He said you too could make it to the barbecue were having." I can hear him beaming through the phone. Why didn't Parker tell me?

"No he didn't. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I have work." I say, sadly.

"Nonsense. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you have two days off."

Well, I did have my personal days.

"It would mean a lot to me." He says, quietly. I hate letting him down.

"I guess I could speak to my manager." It had been very odd that I hadn't met my manager yet. I had met all the other workers, but just them. I guess I have a lot of sucking up to do.

"You won't regret it. The trip is in two days. We'll have a great time. I love you, Tatum." He says. I feel my heart warm. He always tells me how much he loves me.

"Yeah, I love you too." I say.

~
It was my last shift of the day and I was exhausted. I took up another co workers shift, since they covered me when I went to the wedding. I asked my manager if you could take two days off and she had agreed. I felt glad that I didn't have to disappoint James.

I wanted to come through for him at least once, after all he's done for me. I may be an ungrateful brat every once in a while, but I really appreciate everything's he has done for me and my mother.

The fact that he payed all my mothers medical bills, all the while putting me through school is incredible. James never remarried after my mom. He had only ever had two wives, my mom and Parkers mom. I don't know much about Parkers mother. She isn't in his life and from what I know, it doesn't bother him. He never mentions her, acts like she doesn't exist.

My mother always adored Parker. Considering he acted like an angel in front of her. She always compared me to him, said I need to get some good integrity like that boy. I always brushed it off. She once told me that she though Parker was attractive.

"That Parker is mighty fine, ain't that right Tate?" She had said.

"Mom!" I exclaimed. She waved her hand at me.