Chapter 12

ALEXIE'S POV

Gentle shaking drags me out of my dreams and I begrudgingly open my eyes before rubbing them. Resting on one elbow beside me is Grayson, completely naked, not under the blanket. My eyes shoot downward without my permission, and I can feel my cheeks heating up.

"I love the way you react to my body," Grayson says, making my eyes shoot back up to land on his face.

"Shut up," I weakly shove his shoulder.

"I love the way you react to what I do to your body more though." He quickly pulls the blanket off me, revealing my naked body to the harsh morning air.

"Grayson!" I curly up to hide myself.

I grab the blanket from his hand and quickly cover myself with it before glaring at him. He laughs at my attempt of being intimidating. Grayson's smile slowly fades into a more nervous one. I look at him curiously.

"There's something I need to say. I'm-" Grayson's cut off by a knock at the door.

He sighs. "Come in!"

"Wait what?!" I say, trying to cover more of myself before throwing some of the blanket over Grayson's naked body.

He once again laughs at me but willingly covers the bare minimum for my sake. The door opens and Alfred walks into the room carrying a silver tray. When he sees me in bed with Grayson he freezes, and shock is evident on his face. He clears his through and quickly composes himself, bringing the tray over to the bed. He places it on the edge of the bed before stepping back.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" Alfred asks.

"That'll be all, thank you," Grayson replies kindly.

Alfred nods and curtly leaves the room. When the door closes, I glare at Grayson again.

"Oh relax, he didn't see anything," Grayson assures me.

"Regardless, I don't think he likes me very much."

"Don't take it personally, he doesn't really like anyone. Besides, I like you enough to make up for it." Grayson kisses my button nose before reaching for the tray. "I got the chefs to make us breakfast in case you were hungry."

"Thanks." I watch as Grayson takes lids off things and the amazing smells fill the room. "Oh, what were you going to say before?"

"Oh right, that," Grayson starts, his full attention now on me, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what I did and more importantly that I didn't tell you what was happening. It won't happen again and from now on, I'm fully prepared to tell you anything you want to know."

"Then tell me what you found out from the man you tortured."

"I didn't torture him, I persuaded him to give me information I wanted. Which ultimately, he did. He told me that he was hired by someone from a different drug cartel to kill me... and you." Grayson's fists ball up in anger before he continues.

"This information is why I called a meeting with some colleagues. I wanted to know if any of them had any idea as to why this might have happened. Some people informed me they had been hearing some gossip that multiple other large drug cartels have been aiding each other to get rid of mine. Mine happens to be the largest and they assume that by taking out me, my clients would have to go elsewhere, meaning almost every other drug cartel in this area would be getting a lot more business."

"B-But why would they want to kill me then? If it's only because of your business?" I ask.

"Apparently, we've been seen together in public by people involved in this and rumours have been spread that you might receive my company if I die. The company gaining another CEO would give the company a chance at surviving because it wouldn't be as vulnerable."