just that good

—

"Of course you're still the team captain. You got your grades up just like Coach told you to, right?"

Scott sighed, "Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up at tryouts today."

"And Austin didn't say anything? You know, Coach is practically his stepdad, doesn't he have an inside to everything?"

"I don't know. I didn't ask."

Stiles gave him a deadpanned look before brushing it off, "We got bigger things to deal with anyway. Did you tell Argent yet?"

"I texted him but he didn't get back to me."

"You told him his sister Kate came back from the dead over a text?"

"Not the move, Scott." A voice said from behind them. They turned to see Josie and Ryder walking past them to get to the bleachers.

The girls clearly thought they were late for tryouts,

"Hey—Ryder!"

"Not now, Stiles!" She didn't spare him a glance as she hugged Austin, pressing a kiss to his cheek before following Josie to the bleachers.

"I didn't have the money to call France." Scott said as they made it to the field.

"Yeah, you think you got money problems? Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen House."

"Another notice?"

"Yeah, this one said, "Final." Now, what the hell are we even doing here anyway? We got like a 138 million problems and worrying about our status on the lacrosse team is not one of them." Stiles rambled.

Scott's brown eyes traveled to the few players that were on the field, one person in particular catching his eye, "It is now."

"Who the hell is that?"

The pair of friends jumped at the feeling of someone slapping their shoulders, "That's Liam, he's the kid who bumped into me yesterday. He's really good."

Stiles and Scott shared a look, "Okay, maybe we should just practice a little bit."

•••

After watching the short practice before actual tryouts, Josie stood off to the side while Ryder spoke to Austin before he left to go change out of his sweaty clothing.

Her boredom was clear on her face as she stared ahead at nearly empty field. She locked eyes on the single person that was picking up his equipment, flinching as he lifted his head to look up.

She turned away as quick as she could to appear less like a stalker only to run face first into a wall.

"Ow." She lifted a hand to rub at her forehead.