Partnership

The majestic fort of Kumbhalgarh had a breathtaking view. Ajabdeh stood at the edge of the longest wall of India, watching the sunset. Today was special. It was on this very day two years back that her book Choices was released. There had been no turning back since then. She was writing her second one. In these two years, her image had changed in the media. She was not the party animal anymore. She occupied the position of the MD of Surajgarh Group of Heritage Hotels, an initiative of the Sisodia Punwar Mughal Partnership. She had successfully run NGO programs across the state alongside Heer under the Punwars banner and earned a name for good causes. She frowned at her watch and stared back at the gates leading out of the fort. Still no sign of him. Her phone rang and she picked it up and moved to a fairly empty corner away from the crowd.

"Hello?"

"Jija!" Heer sounded excited on the other side, while she frowned. "It's snowing!" Heer and Shakti had been visiting Ruqaiya and Jalal in Amsterdam. They had settled there in the past year with Khan Baba and the news of Rukaiya's pregnancy prompted Jaivanta to send her gifts with Shakti and Heer who were on a Europe tour for a month. Heer had never seen a more beautiful place than Switzerland in her life. Shakti had smiled at her watching the snowfall like a child. Shakti now held the position of his father in the Sisodia Business while Pratap was the head of the heritage project. He also took care of Jalal's scattered business ventures in India.

"Jija?" Heer's voice sounded alarmed "Are you there?" "Yes." Ajabdeh found a voice "How is... Ruqs?"

"She is absolutely fine, Jija. Aapa said she expected you here instead. I told her you will be here once the baby arrives. Sahi bola na Maine?" Her voice was happy and Ajabdeh smiled. Shakti snatched the phone from her "Did Maan call Ajabdeh?" He asked.

"Not yet. But we heard it will be a spring wedding. Ranima said so." Ajabdeh shook her head. "How are you?"

"Am fine, umm... tell Dadabhai to talk to Bhaijaan once, he's kind of freaked out." Ajabdeh's heart skipped a beat. Freaked out! Of course! What if ... She took a heavy breath and sighed, making Shakti frown on the other side.

"Ajabdeh? Is something wrong?" he asked worried.

"No. No! Endings again" she shrugged. "I'm bad at those."

"Don't worry your new one will be a great success too!" Shakti smiled, "We know it!" "What's it called Jija?" Heer's voice rang behind his "Ask her Kunwarsa."

"Umm... Relationships..." Ajabdeh had smiled. She had least expected a few years before that she would be releasing a book on this.

"Woah!" There was a hint of a smirk in Shakti's voice.

"Umm... I gotta go, Shakti, I will get back to you tonight." She had hung up before he said goodbye. She had seen Pratap walk in.

"Something is amiss." Shakti almost whispered, making Heer frown.

Ajabdeh had never doubted Pratap's commitment to her. Never did the thought of him leaving her for a better option come to her mind. She had seen girls give him attention at parties. She had seen him enjoy some at pubs. But never did it ever bother her.

Sometimes the way they touched his arm made her jealous. That was the time she walked up to him with a smile that claimed him as hers. He never talked of marriage as well, and they were happy in their own space. They had lived in the present. From holidays to weekends they rarely planned. And she liked it that way. At times, she would read to him, and he would give his feedback. She appreciated those. Then at times, in between work, they had grabbed a private lunchtime at home. Working in the same place which was home, made Ajabdeh feel at ease. Working hours were never her kind of thing. As for Pratap, she could sense at times, after fights, that there was insecurity in his eyes. Perhaps fear of losing her. She had hugged him on those occasions. He was the part of life that now came as easily to her as her breath. Heer's marriage made Ajabdeh miss her sister. But Pratap had slowly and effortlessly filled in the place of a protector and listener. She was never afraid to speak out to him. And she liked the kind of effort he often put into his occasional night outs and gifts. But now, things would change. The thought scared her. She did not know how to face him with her thoughts placed in the right words.