The Bride

"Jija are you sure?" Ignoring her sister's doubtful voice she put a spoonful of tea leaves in the boiling water. "I think you should leave this to me and get ready... They are already here."

"Yes, I will now move!" She took a jar in hand.

"What are you doing?" The younger one exclaimed and stopped her just in time. "Kya?" She frowned confused. "Adding sugar to the tea ...."

"Jija." Her sister giggled. "That is salt! Leave the tea to me and get ready." She took her sister by her hand to their room.

Putting the pink dupatta on her head matching it with the yellow salwar kameez her sister searched for the perfect pair of earrings.

"That is enough now... As if I wear all these." She looked confused in the mirror. "I don't look like myself, Heeriye! This looks like you than me, Heer? Heer!"

"Ohho Miss Ajabdeh Punwar!" Her sister stopped searching "Maasa and Baba instructed me to dress you up elegantly and not like you are!"

"Haan '' Ajabdeh smiled proudly " That is what they fear, that the groom would run away because he can't handle my personality. Who wants to get married anyway?! Oh My God Perfect Plan!!!!"

"Heer Beta?" Her mother called softly knocking on the door.

"Maa, Jija is ready." Heer smiled opening the door as Hansa looked mesmerised at how pretty her older one looked. Ajabdeh gave a confused look, making her mother roll her eyes. "Heer bring the tea." She took her older daughter's hand, adjusting her dupatta. It's time Ajabdeh meets her in-laws.''

"Ji maa."

The elegant living space was lit up with a well-furnished sofa set and abstract art on the wall.

"Heer painted all of these." Her father's words were heard as Heer frowned.

"Oh, I told him to praise Ajabdeh," Hansa spoke under her breath making both the girls exchange a glance at each other.

"Maybe he found nothing to praise me about." Ajabdeh's murmur made Heer slap her hands softly.

"Here she is." Hansa entered smiling as Heer placed down the tray on the table and stared at the people sitting on the sofa. A man about fifty, in his grey suit, seemed to feel a little awkward smiling. His wife, her elegance, spoke well from the way she carried herself. Her smile seemed more genuine, friendly and excited. Her eyes travelled to the guy sitting on the separate sofa. The groom, is he? Seems handsome. Heer stared at him unconsciously. He stared right at her with slight discomfort in his eyes as she looked away and quickly took her place beside her Jija.

She is the bride? She seems much younger than twenty-four. Shakti frowned in his thoughts. She is prettier than that one. He looked away as the "Other one" gave him a cold stare.

"This is Heer. And that's my darling Ajabdeh." Ajabdeh starred as her father's completely fake smile. She managed a smile as the woman patted the seat next to her "Come and sit here. Ajabdeh right? Beautiful name, Hansa." Somehow her smile was so warm and welcoming that Ajabdeh felt comfortable.

"This is Shakti. Pratap's younger brother."

Not the groom? Heer gulped.

This is the bride, not her? Shakti looked up at Heer and realised she was looking his way as he awkwardly looked away.

"Ajabdeh beta what are your hobbies?"

"I...." Ajabdeh opened her mouth to be interrupted by Hansa. "Cooking."

Hein? Ajabdeh stared at her mother like she was some alien.

"Silai kadai... she loves kids... she manages every minute detail of the household..."