Chances

In a few minutes, Jalal's car had brought them to their favourite café near their school and they were chatting over a latte each while Pratap and Jalal sat at his office discussing paperwork. Pratap saw Jalal bite on a sandwich rather hungrily when he cleared his throat to ask...

"Umm, what's with her?" "Who? Ajabdeh?"

"No. Ruqaiya." Pratap tried to study his face. "She is nice."

"Yeah, good thing they are friends huh?" Jalal gulped down his bite. "Yeah, but that's not what I mean." Pratap studied his face with a smile. "Jalal is nice na?" Ajabdeh sipped at her Latte as Rukaiya stopped at hers. "Hmm." Rukaiya studied her smiling face.

"He's handsome too." Ajabdeh smiled thoughtfully "And rich and successful." "Where are you going with this?" Rukaiya frowned.

"I am thinking of proposing to him!" Ajabdeh sounded serious as Rukaiya choked on her drink.

"What do you mean then?" Jalal frowned.

"Not every girl calls Khan Baba that!" Pratap leaned forward with a smirk.

"Umm, maybe that was a slip of the tongue." Jalal seemed thoughtful. "You know she must have heard me call him that..."

"Umm maybe." Pratap agreed "Or not?"

"What do you mean?" Rukaiya wiped her face with the tissue. "You can't do that" "Why not?" Ajabdeh frowned. "I like him!"

"But... But... What about religion?" Rukaiya raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah, exciting na? We can be an example of secular India!" Ajabdeh smiled. "Umm Ajabdeh..." Rukaiya's heart skipped a beat.

"What?" Ajabdeh tried hard not to laugh at her face.

"I don't know Pratap." Jalal shrugged, "Am not... umm..."

"Just don't get hurt again." Pratap placed his hand concerned on Jalal's shoulder. "Okay?"

"I am thinking of proposing." Jalal seemed serious. "Like.... Be my girlfriend?" Pratap raised his eyebrows.

"No." Jalal took out the diamond ring he had seen before from his pocket. "Like to be my wife." Jalal stared at Pratap sitting like a statue looking at him like he was a ghost.

"What?" Jalal frowned.

"Umm... this ring... are you sure?" Pratap seemed scared. Jalal sighed. "Can I tell you something I never shared bro?"

"Ajabdeh I.... I... Ummm...." Rukaiya looked funny. "Kya?" Ajabdeh frowned.

"We like each other." She seemed scared.

"Aha! I knew this! Kaisi lagi meri acting?" Ajabdeh smirked as Rukaiya looked shocked. "Kya matlab?" made Ajabdeh laugh.

"Main and Love?!" Ajabdeh laughed again "Am still the old me Rukaiya! And yes, Parents! Tried to set me up with Kunwar Pratap Singh."

"Wow! Arranged? Phir?" Rukaiya seemed pleased. "He seems nice."

"Abhi bhi natak is on! We will reject each other soon!" She dismissed Rukaiya with a laugh.

"But why?" Rukaiya frowned. "You two seem well off with each other, look lovely too."

"Ugh! Stop it!" Ajabdeh placed down her empty glass "So, when is Jalal proposing? Should I ask him?"

"No No No!" Rukaiya seemed alarmed. "How's your sister?"

"Don't change the topic!" Ajabdeh warned.

"Then you tell me, why not Kunwar Pratap?" Rukaiya stopped to watch Ajabdeh think. "Not him because... umm.... He's not like the others yaar!"