Chapter 1

Author's note
Gosh man. I gotta put some warnings here since people won't look at the story description anymore. Kaveh in this story is trans, (FTM) and AFAB parts are used for his genitals! Also, Kaveh can freely transform into a human. English IS my first language, so expect super bad writing lololollol Thank you for reading this

Al Haitham was known for being calm and collected person, who only prefers to be alone most of the time. He has communicated with some of his closest friends and colleagues but otherwise, he would be found sitting in the House of Daena.

They never really understood him, and even if they did try, he'd shoot down any chances when they approached him. Mainly because he doesn't want to get involved with people's personal matters.

"I don't think establishing a relationship is necessary in life, I'm happy with how I am living right now."

He said that once.

Al Haitham, who was known for his terrible demeanor and frozen heart.. had underestimated his blossoming feelings.

Al Haitham was walking along the path of Sumeru city where someone calls to him

"Ah! Grand sage!"

Al Haitham turned on a dime to face the sound of his title, and stood there with a blank face, observing the person who called him out. He didn't bother with a greeting or any form of small talk, simply waiting for the other person to speak up.

"I tried finding you to review my resume.."

Al Haitham was in utter confusion, unsure about what this person was trying to say or do. His face remained blank for several moments, before he spoke without any change in expression.

"This may sound like quite a ridiculous question.. but are you interviewing for a job?"

The student, confused realised her wording was wrong and decided to rephrase it.

"Uh.. no? Aren't you supposed to review the student's thesis at the Akademiya?"

A bit of surprise washed over Al Haitham's face, and he raised an eyebrow.

"I see.. you are here for your thesis review."

He made a mental note of this, and slowly, he turned to fully face the stranger.

"What is your name, if I may ask..?"

The person mentioned their name and gave their thesis to Al Haitham

"My thesis may be ridiculous but I have been studying Mermaids for a little while..!"

"Mermaids..?"

This certainly peaked Al Haitham's interest, for he had always thought that mermaids were just a myth. However, there seemed to be solid evidence behind it, and he had to review it.. for his curiosity was too profound that he simply had to figure out if this thesis was true or not.

He glanced through the document, nodding along and silently forming an opinion.

"I hope to see one in real life..!" The student exclaimed.

"Mhm."

Al Haitham continued to go through the thesis, looking over each and every word with utmost attention. His face remained expressionless, but he was certainly fascinated.

He continued to read, nodding along at a few parts.. until he reached the final part..

"Aha, I see, hm.. so you are saying that they exist?"

"Yes! And I believe they can be found in our seas Mr Scribe.."

Al Haitham looked up from the thesis, finally deciding to talk.

"And you believe they reside in Sumeru?"

He was a little skeptical, but this stranger was persistent in what they said. Perhaps this was true..

"I heard a rumour saying a group of eremites were sailing in the seas where they claim to see a mermaid with blonde hair and a feather in his hair sitting on the rock! The creature swam in the ocean after being spotted. If you want to confirm this, you can ask the eremites right now! They are at the bar near the docks!"

The student explained to Al Haitham*

"Hm.. I see."

Al Haitham took notes of this rumor in his head, as he planned on going to the docks to check this himself. He was very curious about this, and this might just be something he could be proud of if it truly was real.

"Thank you for your work. I will make sure to read through this again before giving you a final score.."

He nodded at the person in front of him, and started to make his way towards the docks.

End of chapter 1

Wow did I just do that? Wtf wow. Also don't ask why the font changes from this to that I'm too lazy anyways.
-Whalie