Hold On

-Inspired by a scene from the s2 trailers/promos-

Soundtrack: "Hold On" by Chord Overstreet

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"The temporal core was failing and someone needs to go out and fix it." Victor explains, standing before the small group. "This will require the individual to wear protective gear to protect against the lethal amounts of temporal radiation."

"And if a person were exposed to that?" Casey asked as his pen continued to leak ink into his shirt pocket.

"Instant death." Victor replies nonchalantly. "Any volunteers?"

"I'll do it." Loki says, raising his hand.

"No way in hell, Loki." Mobius responds, swatting Loki's hand down. "I'll do it."

"Mobius, you're human, it's too dangerous." Loki says, trying to hide his intense panic.

"That doesn't matter, Loki. You're mortal too, I don't want you going out there." Mobius insists. He didn't know why, but something deep inside him was screaming at him to keep Loki safe, to keep him away from danger, to protect the god with his short, fleeting mortal life.

Loki reluctantly relented, allowing Mobius to go through with this. He watched as Orobourus got Mobius into the ridiculous looking suit, and nearly had a heart attack when O.B simply put some duct tape over a big old crack in the glass.

Now, all Loki can do is watch as his first true friend walked out into the radioactive environment.

The golden energy thrummed intensely as Mobius approached the gargantuan device. Before it was sat a small control panel in the shape of Miss Minutes.

"Alright, Mobius, it looks like she has a fried control chip. That's why her systems weren't responding." O.B explains through the comms. "There's a replacement chip in your left pocket. Just gently remove the damaged one and then insert the new in it's place. Casey and I can get everything rebooted from here."

"Alrighty. Copy that, O.B." Mobius says, following the instructions. But as the reboot finished, the radiation levels suddenly spiked.

"Oh, shit." O.B says.

"What is it? What's happening?" Loki asks, nearly having a panic attack.

"There's too much radiation out there Mobius, you need to get back inside as fast as you can." O.B responds, immediately opening the outer airlock doors.

Mobius hurried back to the doors, but the suit was quickly deteriorating, falling apart as the energy hit him like a million freight trains.

Loki saw that Mobius wasn't going to make it, so he made a really risky decision- and threw the doors open with magic, rushing out there to him.

"Loki, no!" B-15 yelled, but he wasn't listening. His only focus was Mobius.

Save Mobius.

"What are you doing?! Get back inside, you aren't wearing a suit!" Mobius yelled, trying his best not to have a panic attack.

"Not without you." Loki replies fervently, his voice shaky as he tried his beat to hold the tears back.

Before either could say another word, the metal rings of the temporal core broke, and the golden energy burst forth with a vengeance. Loki reacted by shoving Mobius through the door first, and he was barely able to get himself inside and seal the doors behind them before the energy hit the building.

As Loki lay on the ground, exhausted, he felt an odd energy moving around in his body.

"Loki, are you okay? Answer me, please." Mobius says softly, his voice strained with worry. He had gotten out of what was left of the suit already, discarding the charred remnants on the floor.

"I'm alright." Loki whispered, reaching up and touching Mobius' face. He saw a fleeting memory, something from Mobius' past life. Sparkling blue ocean, white sandy beach, and a familiar blonde riding along on his red jet ski.

"You went out into the temporal radiation, without a protective suit, and survived?" Victor questioned, baffled. "How? How did you do this?"

"I'm a Loki." The black haired sorcerer answered. "We don't die easy."

-

Later that night, Mobius was in his apartment when there was a gentle knock on the door. He opened it up and saw his favorite variant standing there.

"Hey, Loki. Everything alright? You feeling okay?" Mobius asked.

"I feel perfectly fine, Mobius, thank you." Loki replied. "I just..."

"What is it?" Mobius asked, a tad worried. Loki looked like he had cried.

"Can I stay here tonight? I just- I don't know what it is, but I want to be close to you right now. I don't understand this feeling." Loki fumbled out, tripping awkwardly over his words.

"Of course you can stay tonight, come on in." Mobius says, welcoming the trickster inside.

Loki sat on the couch, nervously fidgeting with the hem of his jacket. Mobius sat beside him, letting out a small sigh.

"Why did you do that, Loki?" Mobius asks, his mind twisting itself into a pretzel trying to figure it out. "Why did you go out there with no suit?"

"You would've died." Loki says softly, his voice cracking. "You would have died, Mobius. You're my best friend, I can't lose you, I love--"

Loki stopped talking immediately, horrified by his near Freudian slip.

"Oh, gods, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that, I--"

"I love you too, Loki." Mobius cuts him off, surprising the god.

"You do?" Loki asks, shocked.

"I think I always have, but I know for certain that I will continue to love you for all time, always." Mobius says softly, brushing a lock of hair behind his ear.

"I love you so much, Mobius." Loki whispers, snuggling into Mobius' arms on the couch.

"I love you more." Mobius whispers.

"I love you most." Loki replies, pressing a soft kiss to Mobius' lips.

For all time, always