37

Two weeks after he almost died, Stiles lay in his bed feeling like maybe his heart had. Derek hadn't spoken to him or anyone else since he ran out that night. Scott was sitting next to him on his bed, trying to cheer him up as he had been doing every day since Derek's disappearing act. 

After finding out the truth about Stiles and Derek, Scott realized how much he had missed his best friend's life. He didn't even know Stiles was bi. Partially motivated by his new alpha status and partially motivated by love for his almost brother, Scott was determined to make up for the distance. Stiles didn't mind, at least it took his mind off of Derek. Sort of. 

When Derek wasn't there, Lydia was. Allison had been having a hard time forgiving her for lying. 

As Scott and Stiles finished their race, Lydia entered the room. 

"Why does this pack always feel like I need a babysitter? I'm fine." Stiles groaned as Scott got ready to head out. 

"When was the last time you showered?" Lydia questioned. Stiles blushed and Lydia threw his towel at him. He disappeared into the bathroom leaving Scott and Lydia alone. Scott stared at her in awe, wondering when she had gotten so good at caring for Stiles. "We can't let this keep going on. We need to get Derek back." 

"I know. I've been trying but Peter doesn't know where he is and no one's been able to smell him in the preserve." Scott had allowed Peter to be free as long as he stopped the payments for the deadpool and maintained good behavior. Peter had originally scoffed at Scott's new position of power but the combination of the alpha, his hunter girlfriend, and Peter's own daughter convinced him to take them seriously. He had been a model pack member since then. Or at least mostly tolerable. 

"Did you reach out to the pack in New York? Or Cora's pack in South America? Did you ask Chris to talk to his contacts and see if there was word of any lone wolves crossing through their territory?" Lydia hadn't meant for her tone to sound so judgmental. 

"Lyds, I'm trying." Scott sighed, sitting back on Stiles' bed and letting his head fall in his hands. "I can't do this." Lydia finally realized how much of a toll the expectations of being alpha were taking on him. 

"I'm sorry. I know you're trying. But you don't have to do this on your own." She reminded him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You have an entire pack who wants you to succeed. We can help."

"But Derek-"

"You really think Derek did everything on his own? He listened to us. Me, you, Stiles, the pack- Derek listened to all of us and did what he thought was best." 

"Okay. What do I do?" 

"Call a pack meeting tonight. Stiles' dad will be home with him so we don't have to worry about staying with him." The water turned off and they let their conversation shift. Scott left shortly after Stiles came back into the room. 

"So, the Notebook?" Lydia smiled brightly as she crawled into Stiles' bed beside him. 

That night, Stiles sat down for dinner with his dad for the first time in too long. They had ordered takeout, surprising the Sheriff because usually tried to police his calories. When he let him order extra bacon, he knew something was wrong. When Stiles shoved the curly fries around his plate instead of eating them, he knew he had to say something.

"You okay, Son?" Stiles looked up at his dad's concerned expression. He should've lied. Put on a smile and pretended like everything was fine. Instead, he let the floodgates open. 

Scott stood in front of the pack. Lydia smiled at him encouragingly and Allison squeezed his hand. 

"We need to find Derek." He announced. 

Be My Cover Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें