Hacking and Coughing

Start from the beginning

Ahsoka's new spot was in the back row at the end, where she could see Billaba but not Windu.

Windu instructed the younglings to run through a specific transition of forms that they all seemed to be struggling with. Ahsoka coughed in between repetitions and blinked slowly. Windu was saying something about form, keeping the shoulders back and open for stability and balance. She'd heard it several times before but listened anyway, staring off to the side.

"Ahsoka, are you doing okay?" asked Billaba abruptly, startling Ahsoka a bit and bringing her attention to the master.

Ahsoka swore she nodded but apparently it wasn't obvious enough because through her slow-blinking eyes, she saw Windu peer over from around the lines of younglings obstructing his view.

Ahsoka's hand was sweaty around her lightsaber hilt and she swung it back and forth to feel the cool air between her fingers. All eyes were turning to her and she felt herself burning with embarrassment.

Lalu, closer to the front, raised one hand in an okay signal and asked, "you okay?"

Ahsoka nodded again, more obviously this time. Still burning with embarrassment, she was at last free from young, curious eyes, who'd all lost interest when she said she was okay.

They went on for a while, continuing to work through the forms until the time for the lesson ran out.

Ahsoka's throat was raw from coughing as all the younglings filed out but her and her friend Murvine. Murvine wanted help critiquing some specific forms and Ahsoka knew she'd benefit from the same, so she sat on the floor, still coughing, as she watched Windu critique Murvine.

With every passing second, Ahsoka felt like her head was a little closer to exploding. But she didn't just want to give up on an opportunity to run forms and have one-on-one correction time.

"Did you need something, Ahsoka?" Billaba asked when Windu had finished with Murvine.

"Well, I was wanting to run forms but now I'm having second thoughts because I think my head might explode," Ahsoka sighed.

"Are you not feeling well?"

Had the coughing not been enough of a hint? "No, but I'm fine. It's not bad."

"So are you wanting to run forms?" Windu asked.

"I'll wait for you if you do," offered Murvine.

"I'd like to, but I don't want to be thought of skipping the next lesson," Ahsoka said.

"I'll make sure they know you're here," offered Billaba. "You'll be assembling in the archives in a few minutes with several other lesson groups anyway for a short lecture, so you won't miss anything.

Ahsoka agreed to this, and went out on the floor to run forms while Windu gave Murvine a few more pointers. Then Windu moved to her and gave her mostly the same tips. Ahsoka had perked up a bit, coughing decreasing by a fraction, but she didn't know her forms as well as Murvine.

"It's okay, Murvine's older and she's been working much longer than you," Billaba assured Ahsoka, who apparently was feeling unwell enough to look crestfallen at the fact.

Ahsoka just nodded and smothered a few hacks in her robes. Windu dismissed her and Marvine and the two girls left to freshen up before joining the others in the archives.

"I don't want to go to a lecture," Ahsoka sighed. "I bet it's one of those 'motivational' ones where they tell us to keep good marks and put in hard work, because it will always pay off."

Marvine chuckled. "Agreed."

They pushed into the locker room and Ahsoka coughed harshly into her robes. "I'm dying," she groaned, rubbing her head where the headache had grown.

"Yeah, you didn't look too good," Marvine said.

"Apparently not, with Master Billaba asking if I'm okay." Ahsoka shuddered with embarrassment. "I thought I nodded and then Master Windu looked around at me like that."

"You didn't nod. You were literally just staring like this." Marvine modeled a blank stare and slow blinking. "We were all looking at you like 'uhhhh' and I thought you were going to pass out. And you said you were fine but... you know."

"You thought I was lying," Ahsoka said with an amused smile. She must've looked worse than she thought. She coughed into her sleeve.

"The lecture in the archives is short," said Marvine. "I think we both know what it's about, so wanna skip?"

"Oh yeah, I'd much rather stay here."

And they did.

-------------------

Word Count: 1,266

Published: 21 September 2023

I feeeeeeeeel realllllllly groooosssss riiiiiiighhhtttt noooowwwwww and myy braaaiiin issnnn''tttt wwwwwooorrkinnnggg. (I sang that in my head, by the way)

Requests are open, feel free to message me or make a comment if you have any ideas!

Hasta la vida, peoples!