forty eight

I want to shove the world into a dark corner and tell it to go fuck off. I want to scream out all the ways it has let me down in the hopes that somebody hears me and tells me it's all going to be okay.

max ❤️
liv are you okay?

max ❤️
the photos are edited right?

max ❤️
Olivia?

I want to crumble all the mistakes I have made into my palms and watch as they fall through my fingertips as nothing but dirt. I want to see the world for what it can be, and not all for what it has been. Let me cry. Let me fucking cry.

The cameras were blinding, my phone in my pocket was immediately buzzing. Within minutes the building was crammed with more and more people, everyone wanted to come and get a photo of me. Fuck.

"Adeline- what, why would you do that?" I asked her with no shame, my eyes were watering not at the image but at her. Why would she do this to me? I'm not that bad, am I?

She shrugged to me, cording her arms "You haven't been there for me," she paused the ding to the photo, "why should I keep your dirty little secrets?"

"Ads-

She grinned at me, whipping her phone out of her pocket, "Smile for the picture livvy!" I was bombarded with questions from the audience surrounding us.

I decided I had one option.

Leave.

"Olivia is the photo real?"

"Is cocaine your drug of choice?"

"Liv does your brother know about the addiction?"

"You're a hypocrite Olivia!"

"Have you been to rehab?"

"Where's your jail time liv?"

People were shouting at me from the streets, people I didn't even know and paparazzi I hadn't seen before. It was one of New York's rush hours as I left the building submerging  myself within the crowds of people desperate to ask me questions and shout at me, "Excuse me." I muttered as people tried grabbing at me as I wriggled my way through a crowd of people.

"Is this one of the reasons Adam is in prison?"

"Why did Adeline do this Olivia?"

"How many times have you done cocaine?"

The constant noise, the constant craziness. My brain was hurting as people continued to shout for my attention whilst hands kept grabbing at me, "Taxi! Taxi!" I tried to flag one down but it's harder than it seems in the movies.

Especially considering the crowd I'm emerging from, not a single Uber was coming close to the swarm of people. Chaotic was an understatement, "Please let me through." I was begging them, despite the pushing into me, the rude questions and the bright flash in my eyes.

"Taxi!" I waved down the street until a yellow cab, yes like the movies, finally stopped for me and allowed me in as I slammed the car door as quickly as possible behind me preventing the uproar of more flashing at me and the poor driver, "Oh my god sir you are a lifesaver!" I thanked him as I caught my breathe in the backseat.

"No need to thank me darling," the older gentleman replied looking at the crowd from his mirrors and then locking the doors of the car with child lock, "Wouldn't put it past them to try climb in.."

"Me neither unfortunately." I told him as people were pressing their hands up to the windows trying to gain my attention, it was getting so bad the driver had to honk the car at them multiple times before speeding off.

"Where are we headed?" He asked looking back to me with his mirror, smiling at me gently. He knows I'm in deep shit.

"The nearest airport," I paused "I will pay you however much it takes, just please hurry there."

"Fleeing the country?" He asked brows raised but it was more of a joking tone than an accusation.

I hesitantly replied, "Something like that."

I can't believe Adeline would do something like that, so spur of the moment, or maybe it wasn't. Oh god and now max would blame himself over her even being there, I sighed before holding up my phone and glancing at the screen. The stream of messages and calls I was getting was overwhelming, so much so I completely powered the device off.

The car wasn't speeding but it was definitely faster than I expected for the typical New York traffic, only then did it come to my attention why. Multiple paparazzi cars were following right behind me to ambush me in the airport, it was like a police chase but with cameras.

"Shit." I muttered to the driver as I turned my head around to watch the cars behind, around eleven or twelve that I could count were sticking cameras out the side of the windows at me, desperate for the newest photo or gossip, "I'm sorry it's never usually this bad.."

The driver shrugged it off and continued to try his best to step it up, I should've been more concerned about how fast he was going and more so how fast the paparazzi were behind us but growing up with a formula one driver brother who sped me to school almost everyday, I didn't think too much of it.

And I mean, driving with max has never really been the safest of options, "Hey I think you're going a little over the speed limit." I alerted the driver though I'm sure he was already aware of that fact.

He sighed, huffing as he continued to speed past surrounding cars, the ones around us beeping now, "They just won't leave you alone- I mean seriously if they keep chasing up to the car like this I have no choice."

My brows were raised, my seatbelt wasn't even on and my heart was still pounding, maybe even more now than in the crowds earlier, "You can just pull over, I'm sorry you shouldn't have to deal with any of-

All of a sudden I felt really tired, unbelievably so. Like the world has drained me for everything I had.