forty five

December 25th:

________________________________
@oliviaricci:

liked by 25,631,023 peopleoliviaricci: merry christmas from australia

oliviaricci: merry christmas from australia

comments:

username3: I couldn't do a hot Christmas

random702: omg die already!

user9484: what a joke, she's embarrassing.
________________________________

"I'm surprised.. I mean he travelled all this way to what check up on you without talking about it?," Heidi asked from the sun lounger "I thought the first thing he would want to do is ask why you said no."

I shrugged to her, pulling on a cap, "I feel like I'm ready to talk about it, I was yesterday too. He just kind of dismissed the topic, saying it wasn't my fault bla bla."

"Mhm, he's kinda like that though. He doesn't enjoy talking about the hard things, he sort of ignores them and hopes it gets better." Daniel input his thoughts to the conversation, it was a weird one for sure. 

"So are you guys together at the moment?" Heidi asked the question I had been thinking about since he left yesterday.

"I don't know," I shook my head, we were at the pirate beach near Daniels house which was a Christmas tradition for us, "I'm confused by everything honestly, do you think I should call him?"

"Nah nah, he's coming here in ten." Daniel replied calmly, my mouth hung open instantly, he's so sneaky, "Oh shush, you'll be chill." He replied before lying down on a sun bed further.

I groaned and held my hands to my face, it wasn't that it was awkward because it wasn't. It was the opposite, I love him, so much. More than anyone or anything on earth and it's so fucking scary. The fact I could lose him and it will be all my fault. That's terrifying.

I shrugged to myself, before talking to Heidi once again, "It was so... surprising. The fact he remembered everything I told him about my dream proposal, the purple flowers and the-

"What's so surprising Olivia? I pay attention when you talk. Even when you mumble to yourself. Which you do very often. But every once in a while, you do say something interesting." His Dutch accent making it clear he was sarcastic towards the end of his words, I whipped my head around to see him with his sister.

I didn't know what she knew about max and I, and I wasn't going to confuse her, "Hi," I waved to the little girl, "My name is Olivia, but you can call me liv if you want."

She waved back, holding max close like she was shy or scared of me I wasn't sure which, "She is very pretty max." She told him, making me awkwardly smile at max, him nodding to the girl.

"Yeah, yeah she is." He said to her before telling her that she could go down to the sea if she wished too, which she immediately took him up on. I'm no good with children, I'm just as awkward as they are but max was a natural.

Then again, maybe it's different if it is your sibling.

Heidi and Daniel went down to the ocean behind her, they knew max and I had to be alone and that she should be watched, the water in Australia isn't the safest.. I've seen some accidents in my time. None of them ending very well, "The weathers nice today." I uttered trying to break the awkward silence.

"Yeah."

Silence once again, how are we somehow more awkward today than we were yesterday, maybe it's because we are in public in next to nothing in the sun, I broke the silence again "I'm really glad you came today..."

He nodded sitting down on the lounger besides me finally, "Me too I think."

"Blue is really cute, I think she looks like you." I commented, awkwardly playing with my nails to avoid the excruciating eye contact.

He chuckled admitting, "I hear that a lot."

"I didn't even know she existed, I didn't know you had any half siblings whatsoever." I respond, more to myself than him. Am I that self obsessed? Kikas right, I only focus on myself.

"I've never mentioned them, I don't see Blue very much.." He mumbled, looking out to see his sister with Daniel and Heidi splashing each other without a care in the world, how it should be.

"I didn't know you had half siblings," I repeated "There's still so much I don't know about you, and it's not that I don't want to know, if anything, I wish I could hear you tell me about your life every hour of the day."

He remained silent.

I took the opportunity to speak freely again, "I just think... we are so new to this relationship, and I'm not ready to be engaged again. It wasn't a positive experience last time."

He breathed heavily, "Do you not trust me liv? Do you think I'd make it negative?" He asked sincerely, turning to face me, eyes staring to mine for the first time.

"No oh my god no! It is just the idea of wearing a ring makes me feel sick, physically sick. Planning a wedding all of it, my stomach churns at the thought. Last time was a nightmare and I can't prevent you from that, if it's what you want, so what I'm saying is, if you want to get married I can't do that right now. In the future I hope so. But I need more time."

"Okay." He replied not giving anything more for me to grasp, nothing for me to cling to.

I sighed to him, cursing myself for starting this conversation in the first place, "So if you want that soon, a marriage that is, I don't think I can be that girl for you max. And you deserve the girl that can give you what you want."

For the first time I had seen a reaction in him, a change in thought, "No no no, get that thought out of your head, you're the girl for me liv, and I will wait for that. I didn't even think about how you have ptsd...I'm- I didn't think it through."

"No seriously max, if it's what you want-

"What I want," he interrupted, "I want to be the kind of man who is worthy of a woman like you- if it's even possible. And I promise to work everyday to make sure you don't regret being with someone as miserable as me. Because when I'm with you I'm not miserable at all. You make me happy in a way that makes me afraid to blink just in case it all disappears." The vulnerability of his words was enough to tug on the strings of my heart.

I held out my hand gently tugging on his, "You are that man max, just because I don't want to be engaged now doesn't mean I don't want to in the future... I want to be with you, I'm absolutely positive of that, even if we are both miserable."

He smiled to me, "I'll give you anything you want liv - anything at all - so as long as you give me a chance to make you as happy as you make me. A dog. A family. A home. I want it all. But if that happens ten years from now, even twenty I don't care. As long as it is with you, I can wait if I get you in the end."

He squeezed my hand with purpose, his fingers tightening around mine, his palm warm against my skin. Just for us, it seemed to reassure me. To promise me, "You already have me Max, you won't be able to get rid of me in fact."

"Is that so?" He asked, "I thought I had that night, when I asked Danny where you had left to and you were already at the airport."

I shook my head firmly, "My night wasn't going well, Adeline and Kika— I don't know. I got overwhelmed and the people whispering, it all hit me like a truck."

He sighed to me, "Don't worry about it liv, don't worry about them, it's not about anyone but you and me."