Half and Half (A short Myth)

Another assignment I was forced to do... :p but I must post it!

~~~~~~~~

Once upon a long time ago, there lived two gods named Artemis and Apollo. The brother of Artemis ; Apollo was. Also the god of the sun. Down on earth the mortals were constantly complaining about the small amount of hours the sun shined. For at the time the sun only shined for about four hours and on some days a couple hours longer, but never did he have to work as hard as his sister.

    While her brother was off partying with the gods she’d be in charge of the sky; always raising the moon longer than the mortals wanted.

    One day Artemis confronted her brother about the problem.

    “Apollo; my dear brother, the mortals have been saddened by the amount of hours the sun shines upon their land again. Maybe-”

    “Artemis; my sister,” the young boy starts cutting off his warm-hearted sister off, “you have approached me again with this foolish request. I have explained to you before that my job is much harder than yours. For the sun is heavier and its scorching bright rays make it harder for me to hold up. I cannot hold it longer than I have been.”

    Artemis nods her head at her brothers excuse. She loved her brother so much that it blinded her and made her gullible to his lies. Apollo was nothing but selfish and didn’t care what his sister was feeling. All he cared about was partying and the part that came after the partying.

    Nemesis; seeing and hearing all of this confronts Artemis the next day while her brother was working the little hours he did.

    “Artemis, do you not see what the boy you call brother is doing to you?”

    Confused,  the young god replies, “My brother? He has done no bad to me. He loves me as he should love a sister and I do the same.”

    The goddess of good and bad, shakes her head and explains to the young god; that her brother is nothing but a rotten boy who cares nothing about her needs and feelings, but only his. Artemis gasps as if she’s been robbed. She thanks Nemesis and turns and takes her leave.

     That day the sun shone for the whole day, for Artemis did not show up for her shift, leaving the responsibility of the sky to her brother Apollo.

    The next day when Artemis returned her brother stormed up toward her angrily.

    “Where were you?” he barks.

    “Where was I?” She repeats. He nods. “I was doing what you’d probably be doing if I’d showed up yesterday.” She replies simply with a smile.

    “Do you not realize how important your job is?” he glares.

    “And do you not yours?” Artemis always calm says, “Brother, the sun and moon are both important to the mortals. If having too much of one doesn’t make them happy then-”

    “Then what Artie?” He spits. “You’re nothing but a goddess; knowing nothing. This world would be better off with out you or any goddess.” he concludes with a smirk.

    Shocked, Artemis stood before her brother, before storming off. Leaving her brother there to do what he proclaimed was correct. Since Apollo was so certain that gods could run the world better then with goddess, she left him be to fulfill his words.

    For days Apollo shined the sun nonstop. The mortals could not tell night from day, for the sun was always out no matter what. The habits of the sun began to effect the earth tremendously. The crops began to whither angering Demeter; the goddess of agriculture. The sea level began to decrease angering Poseidon; the god of the sea.  There was fires burning the land on earth, and not even Hephaestus; the god of fire could control it.

    The earth was slowly dying, and the people going with it. Nemesis seeing this decided that it was her duty to fix the problem. She was tired of seeing Artemis and Apollo fighting and the people on earth suffering because of it. She goes on a mission to find Artemis to bring her back so she can rise the moon again.

    When Nemesis eventually finds Artemis she forces her to go back to her brother. Upon seeing his sister, Apollo is overjoyed and throws himself onto her.

    “Sister, my sister, please come back. I take back all that I have said. The world cannot run without the goddesses. Your moon and my sun are equally as important. Look! See? I am on the brink of destroying the earth. I need you. Shine your moon.”

    No more was the gullible, warmhearted Artie. She’d made sure that while she was gone that she got ride of that attitude. “I am very sorry Apollo, but I cannot help you.” She turns to leave, but Nemesis chooses to speak.

    “You have no choice my young goddess. You must shine your sun. I do understand that your brother has caused much harm to the earth and you, that is why I have come with this conclusion.” Both gods look at the balancer wide eyed. “Since the sun and moon are equally important for the ones living on earth I have decided to split your duty‘s. For twelve hours the sun will shine, and for another twelve the moon will rise.”

What Nemesis did not mention was of the place named Alaska. A place where the sun shined twenty-four seven, excluding on day where the moon finally shone. So for many days, years, decades,  and centuries Artemis has made the moon shine in the dark sky. As Artemis is shining her night light, Apollo is shining his brilliant light somewhere else around the earth, and Alaska.