Ch. 6: What Is A King

In the dimly lit corridor of Einzbern Castle, Irisviel was inspecting the damage caused by Lancer's Master's attack when she suddenly felt the presence of an intruder entering the castle's bounded field. She fell to the floor in surprise.

Meanwhile, in another location, a chariot carrying four individuals was making its way through the forest.

Artoria rushed to Irisviel's location and found her on the floor.

"Irisviel!" She exclaimed with concern.

"Saber, you're here," Irisviel weakly replied.

"Please stay still, Irisviel."

"Are they taking advantage of Kiritsugu's absence and storming through the front?"

"The thunder just now and this senseless tactic... the opponent should be Rider."

"There's no other choice. Saber, please defend the castle."

"Yes," Artoria agreed and rushed off.

The chariot eventually arrived inside the main hall, where Saber and Irisviel were preparing for whatever was to come.

"Greetings, Saber!" Rider exclaimed cheerfully, catching Saber and Irisviel off guard. "I hope you don't mind our sudden visit. The way here was a hassle with all those trees. I almost got lost, so I cut some down for you."

Saber and Irisviel were surprised by how casual Rider looked, wearing a simple white T-shirt and jeans.

Mordred, standing beside Rider, was also dressed casually and carried a wooden barrel on her shoulder. Waver, half hiding behind Rider's giant torso, looked up at Irisviel while being patted on the back by Anna, appearing visibly tired. It was hard to tell if his expression was one of enmity or terror, but it was clear that he wanted to go home quickly.

They also noticed a casket that Rider was holding, which appeared to be a simple red wooden wine casket.

"Rider? And..." Saber, still processing the situation, responded cautiously, "Rider, what brings you here? And why the casual attire?"

Rider chuckled, his charismatic aura filling the room. "Well, Saber, we thought we'd pay you a visit and have a little chat." He continued, his brow furrowed. "And what's with that drab armor? Will you not wear your fashionable modern-day garments? And can't you tell?" He gestured to the barrel Mordred was carrying. Mordred patted the barrel, and a sound of liquid came from inside. "To share a drink, of course. So don't just dally there. Lead the way!"

Saber looked at Rider in disbelief, then at Mordred, who gave her a look that seemed to say, 'Just go with it, Father.'

"Is there a courtyard here fitting for a banquet? We can't do with this castle; it's way too dusty inside," Rider exclaimed, looking around.

Saber sighed helplessly, and the anger that had been building up in her began to dissipate. Seeing Rider's grinning face, she couldn't maintain her fighting spirit much longer.

"Irisviel, what do we do?"

Irisviel was similarly befuddled.

She had been angry with Rider for destroying the forest, but she found it hard to continue hating him once she saw his cheerful demeanor.

"He's a straightforward person. Could it really be that they only want to drink?"

Rider had once said he would obey the contract sealed by the Heroic Spirits' pride and honor and pronounce his challenge after Saber and Lancer had decided the victor among them. Therefore, his sudden appearance tonight was truly incomprehensible.