Chapter Six-Nathan

Five years ago
Sydney, Australia

"Hey gorgeous, you look like you need a drink." Nathan said as he moved in way to close to the blonde as would be considered polite. "Why don't you let me buy you something. Trade you a dance for it," he leered at her. He was drunk and on the prowl and the beachside bar was filled with human women just waiting to see his prowess. The second son of the alpha had run to the human world to drown his sorrows. His mother had died the year before of wasting sickness. The only illness that can take a werewolf down.

His mother was the only one who truly cared for him. At least that's what it felt like. His father always gave all his time and attention to his older brother. He was going to be Alpha one day so he got all the love. His mother had tried her best to compensate for her husband but the fact remained that Nathan was a second son.

Sometimes second sons are chosen as the beta, if they were close to their brother but that was not the case here. It wasn't that there was some great fallout they just didn't vibe. Nathan was always too carefree for his brother and he resented him for it.

"No thanks, I've got a drink." The blonde said and turned back to face away from him. A clear dismissal and signal of disinterest but Nathan was drunk and didn't see it as that. He saw it as a challenge.

"Come on baby, don't be like that." He put an arm around her. He knew if he could just get her a drink everything would be fine. She shrugged off his arm and stepped away.

"I said 'no' asshole." As she tried to leave Nathan grabbed her arm, pulling her back to him.

"That was uncalled for. I'm just trying to be nice." She tried to pull her arm away and he let out a growl.

"Let me go! You're hurting me!"

Out of nowhere a fist collided with his face. Surprised someone got the drop on him he stumbled and  fell, letting go of the girls arm. "She said 'no' dipshit! I don't know how it is where you come from, but here no means no. So stop being a creep and take the L."

He looked up, surprised that the person who put him on the ground was a woman. Long and lean with auburn hair she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. She turned to the blonde and asked if she was okay. With a backwards glance at him, where he was still on the ground, she gently led the blonde away.

He felt some hands close around his arms as he was pulled to his feet. "I think it's time for you to go," a deep voice said. He was taken to the door and unceremoniously tossed out.

"I could have taken them," he thought to himself. "But I think I'm ready for bed." He stumbled down the beach aways before passing out there.

Present day
Moon Wind Pack

A knock pulled him from his memory as Allen stuck his head in. "Allen, what'd you find?"

"Well it's not great boss." he said as he took a seat in the chair in front of his desk. "From what I can piece together, Paige's father had some type of an affair before he found his mate. Her mother was a human woman. Apparently, Michael didn't even know about Paige until she was four, when her mother reached out to him. She was dying and had no family so she wanted Michael to take her. You can guess what happened next. At this point Michael already had a son by his mate but he took her in anyway and Sandra took to her right away. Paige was raised as one of the family, though that didn't stop the bullying from the rest of the pack."

Nathan stiffened. Paige had told him all those years ago that she didn't fit in with where she came from but he never thought for a moment it could be something like this. He thought it was just your run of the mill, ugly duckling situation. Not pack alienation. Wolf packs can be brutal to ones they deem outsider. Allen continued. "When she failed to shift, the bullying increased. She convinced her parents to let her go to a human university and she's been gone ever since."