Chapter Three-Paige

"Hello Anton."
  "Alright loves?" He asked her in his London accent.
"I told you not to call me that."
"What else am I supposed to call my girlfriend then?"
"I wouldn't know, I'm not your girlfriend."
"Oh come on babes, don't be like that. I-"
"What do you want Anton?" she asked cutting him off.
"I just wanted to see if you're okay? I know you was stressed and all going home for the wedding and all."
"I'm fine Anton. I've got to go."
"Listen," he said, before she could hang up. "I was thinkin' when you get back yeah? We could go out. We can just talk like old times. Wha'd'ya think?"
"I don't think so Anton. I told you it's over. For good this time."
"I know you always say that but then-"
"That was then. It's over Anton. Just let it be over."
"But-"
"I've got to go, my moms calling me for dinner. Goodbye Anton." She hung up the phone before he could get another word in.

Anton was not something she needed to think about right now. They had dated on and off again for the last few years but she had called it off for good this time. She was finishing her program and would be graduating next month. It was time to move on from him. He wanted more from her and she didn't want to give it.

  She took a deep breath and tossed her phone on the bed. She didn't need any distractions, she just needed to focus on getting through dinner. Once the initial confrontation was over, she and her dad could pretend the other doesn't exist like they had been doing the last six years. She took another deep breath and headed back downstairs. She stopped when she heard her family in the kitchen. They were arguing, about her.

"Sandra that's not what I meant and you know it. It's time she come back to her family. She's been living with the humans for long enough." Her father retorted to some comment she didn't hear.

"That's cuz she is human dad!" she heard Sophie say.
"She is part of this family and she belongs here with us."
"What would she even do here?" Micah asked him. "She doesn't have a wolf, it's not like she can fight or heal! She's not even an omega, she's human!"
"So just because she's human, she not a part of this family." Her father said.
"I'm not the one who said that. You did." Micah retorted.
"I never said that."
"You did. And her graduation dinner," Sandra said quietly. "You told her if she didn't come home with us then, then you would disown her."
"Well, I didn't mean it."
"Have you told her that? Cuz she seems to think you don't care for her anymore. I have been begging her to come home for years and she's refused every time." Sandra's voice was getting angrier. "It took Micah finding his mate and having a  bonding ritual for her to come home again." They were quiet for a while.
"Dad, she's made a life for herself out there. She's happy. Just let her be happy." Micah pleaded.

Paige couldn't stand to listen anymore. Being sure to make noise on the rest of the stairs, she put a smile on her face and walked into the kitchen. "Smells amazing mom! What's for dinner?"

Everyone stood around trying to look like nothing was happening. "I made a lasagna," her mother said with a smile.
"How did you have time to cook a lasagna and drive four hours to pick me up today?" she asked, purposefully ignoring the tension in the air.
"I made it ages ago and had it in the freezer. I put it in the oven before we left to get you this morning."
"Well it smells amazing!"
"Thanks dear. Help your sister finish setting the table and we'll eat."

Dinner was an awkward affair. Paige studiously ignored the tension in the room and tried to enjoy what little time she had with her family. Her father said nothing except to ask someone to pass the salad dressing.

  Paige kept them entertained with stories of her travels, her friends at uni, her studies. She tried to keep it light and fun despite the tension in the room. "What are your plans while you're here?" Sophie asked.
"Working mostly, just because I'm away from campus doesn't mean I can slack off. But I hope to hike a little maybe go to some of the old haunts. I could use a buddy if you're up for it."
"Of course!" she responded. "I'm always down for a good hike. Although we'll have to go slower than normal. What with you having been in the human world for so long. You probably won't be able to keep up anymore," she said with a smirk.
"Hey now!" Paige threw her napkin at her. "I'll have you know I have kept in very good shape while living in the human world."
"Good shape for humans maybe." Micah smirked. Paige began to reply when her father cleared his throat and they stopped their bickering.

"You'll have to present yourself to the Alpha before you can do anything."
"Yes father, I'm aware of the protocols."
"Good, I've set an appointment for you at 9am tomorrow. Being that it's a new Alpha it might be wise to have one of us accompany you."
"I'm sure I can find it on my own, thank you father."
"I can go with you!" Sophie perked up.
"You only want to go so you can spy on the warriors." Micah teased.
"I do not!" Sophie exclaimed.
"What's that one warriors names again?" Micah asked. Sophie's face started turning a deep color crimson as she shook her head at her brother.

"It'd be great if you come with me Soph!" Paige said looking between them. Sophie gave her a grateful look. "What time should we leave?"
"It's only a few minutes drive. Can we borrow the car dad?" Her father started to reply but Paige cut him off.
"We don't need a car. We can walk. I walk everywhere in London."

"You'll take the car." Her father said with a voice the said the decision was final.
"Yes, father." Paige said with perfect deference, something she had let go of in the human world but was all racing back now. The authoritarian nature of wolf packs was not something she missed among the humans. He nodded and stood and left the room.

Everyone was quiet for a while. Shaking her head to relieve herself of the tension, she asked,
"When should we leave tomorrow?"
"It'll take less than ten minutes to get there. You guys shouldn't need to leave before 8:45," her mother said.
"8:45 it is." Paige stood and started clearing the plates from the table. "What's the new Alpha like?" she asked.
"Alpha Nathan is a good male. He's a bit young, not much older than you really, but he is a good Alpha despite his youth. He hadn't been Alpha long when we were taken into the pack."

"And he's hella hot!" Sophie exclaimed.
"Sophie! That is not anyway to talk about your Alpha!" Sandra hissed.
"What? He is!" she tried to say innocently. But Paige saw right through her act. "I'm just trying to prepare her so she's not blown away by his good looks. Alpha John was an old geezer so she might not be aware that Alphas can be hot!"

"Sophie!" her mother hissed again and started to lecture her youngest daughter. Paige just rolled her eyes and helped with the dishes. Despite her father and the complicated feelings around being home, this was something she had missed.

That night, as she lay in bed trying to sleep her mind drifted to another wolf named Nathan. It had been years since she'd seen him, or even heard from him. They had met while she was traveling following her undergraduate work. They spent months together and she had thought herself in love with him. But he had left her with nothing more than a three line email. She swore to herself if she ever saw him again she'd slap him, or punch him, or knee him in the groin. Anything really. Anything to cause him even a modicum of the pain he had caused her.