The Afterlife

Written 2013 by VeGirl

Anna stayed for a while, but then she wanted to go back to Sweden. I knew I would miss her like crazy, but all our recent research told us that as long as we didn't go near any weird humming rocks at the wrong time in some ancient calendar, we would be able to contact each other with a simple phone-call. We both knew that we would miss each other, but the truth was that we didn't want the same things any more.

I had my life by Damon's side for as long as life's circumstances would allow us, and she wanted to go back to her earlier life, with family and friends. She had also made quite a few new friends in the witch community and was looking forward to continue her training as a witch.

Stefan and Elena were doing their best to pull through their rough time which gave Damon and me some well needed time to our selves, hiding in our private paradise in the woods.

"How are you doing?" I asked considerate as I once again found him on the back porch, staring unseeingly out over the small lake.

"Fine." He said, giving me a smile to cover up the thoughtful expression.

"No, you're not!" I was stubborn. "You don't have to hide things from me."

He watched me intense.

"Are you getting tired of me?" I knew this would get a reaction.

"No, of course not." He put an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer. "We've just been going through so much." He whispered against my hair.

"You can say that again!" It was attempted as a joke, but it didn't really pay out.

He pushed me away to look at me with those intense almost grey eyes smouldering with emotions. "I saw you dead. I sat by your side, not knowing if I'd never see you again."

I wrapped my arms around him. "Yeah baby, I'm sorry."

"You're sorry; you're apologizing for dying?" It wasn't really clear if his expression was amused or bitter again. "I mean I sat next to Elena when she was dead, but this was so much worse." He took a deep breath and I stayed silent. "I couldn't think clear when Elena came back without you and we had to get out on a search party, and when I found you lying in a pool of blood it totally slipped my mind that I had fed you my blood that morning. I was certain that you were gone forever."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, darling." My heart bled for the man in front of me. "But I'm here now, immortal and not so easy to get rid of." I did my best to enlighten the mood.

"We're not immortal." He said soft and I could finally see a weak smile. "But we can plan far ahead..."

I giggled. 

"I love that sound." He said soft.

"What?" I kept giggling and he kissed me.

"The sound of you giggling is the sweetest sound in the world."

I smiled in awe of this man. "That is so sweet of you."

"I'm not sweet, I'm mean and I like it!" he got that wicked grin again, the one that took my breath away.

"Yeah, I like that too... My prince of darkness." I smirked.

I was suddenly thrown over his shoulder and in no time we were in his room. Softly he lifted my tee off of me and he unbuttoned his shirt and dropped it on the floor. My eyes wandered to the treasure trail of dark hairs leading downwards from his navel and desire filled me.

Will I ever get tired of this gorgeous man?

   * * * * *   

A few days after, I was out walking alone in town, after sunset. I was on my way home when I walked past a family; I didn't really see the mother, but the father spoke to his sons about some race he had participated in, long ago. The two boys were around ten and six years old and they were excited and bounced around a lot.