Death

Written 2013 by VeGirl

I got up and walked right past Stefan to get out into the southern spring air. I squinted towards the bright sun, thinking about how different everything could be like if I never had gone on this trip in the first place.

"The sun is a little brighter today?" Stefan asked with a challenging look on his face while he held up the door to his old Porsche.

"No, it's perfect." I said, but the smile I intended came out as a frown instead.

My head was starting to hurt by now and I was wondering when they would give it a rest. I didn't say a word until the 'thank you' when he opened the car door for me to get out. That was a really sweet thing that Swedish guys don't really do, and it made me feel pampered. When we arrived at our destination, I waited patiently for Klaus to open the door after I knocked. I gave Stefan a glare while I stepped over the threshold.

"Emma!" Anna came and gave me a hug. "Just the one I wanted to see." Surprised she looked up at Stefan, standing patiently by my side. "Why is the wrong Salvatore with you?" She joked.

I sighed. "Because my boyfriend is with his girlfriend." I said annoyed, nodding towards Stefan. By now Klaus joined us looking surprised to find Stefan flanking me. They shared some silent conversation that I guessed had to do what was going on, but I ignored them.

"Do you have an aspirin, I have a headache." I hissed to my friend.

"Whispering won't help, I can still hear you." Stefan said clearly. "And neither will the aspirin, I'm afraid."

I glared over at him, really shooting daggers.

"What's going on?" Anna wanted to know.

I sighed and gave Stefan another glare. "They think I'm in transition." I told Anna.

"Transition?" She asked, and the next second she knew exactly what I meant and instinctively took a step back, while Klaus took a defensive step forward.

That was when I lost patient. "Not you too!" I said and my eyes were pooling up with tears.

Klaus put his arm around my shoulder and led me to the couch. "Tell me what happened." He prompted and I told him all I could remember.

"I didn't see what it was in the woods, I just felt pain in my neck, and when I came to; everyone had lost their mind." I said sadly as my eyes were starting to water. Klaus just smiled at me as if I was a little child; honestly I longed to just sit there being held and comforted by someone, even Klaus would do.

"At least you're not afraid of me." I pouted.

Klaus chuckled soft. "No, I can take you down anytime, luv."

"Finally someone who can joke about it!" I smiled and nodded towards Stefan. "And now I can't leave the house without this body guard."

Klaus laughed. "Yes and what better companion could you have, but the Rippah, to show you the real life of being a vampire?" He breathed darkly with sparkling eyes and it felt ominous the way he pronounced the ripper.

I remembered seeing Stefan's work on TV, while I still thought that it was just acting; now I shuddered. "But how will I know?" Whispering I asked Klaus, finally thinking what if they were right?

"That will soon be obvious." He said. "When you want to rip your friend's head off."

I gasped and looked alarmed at Anna.

"So this is a really bad time for me to ask you to take your friend in?" He had a teasing expression.

"They're shipping off Esther." Anna explained. "So I'm taking my room back at the Boarding house, if that's okay." She asked Stefan.